How to Survive a Week at Summer Camp?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, this summer camp sounds like it will be more of a hassle than fun. I wouldn't recommend going if you're at all nervous about being forced to do things you don't want to do.
photon
This weekend, I'll shipped off to this summer camp for a week with some people from my church. It's six hours from where I live, which is funny, because you'd have to be insane to drive 6 hours to get there. Others I know say it's a riot, but I really have my doubts. At the last camp I went to I thought I'd just drown myself in the lake to make it all stop. I'll be surprised if they don't confiscate all of our belts and shoe laces when we get there... ;)

What should I do there??! Know any harmless pranks?, pass times? Anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember a friend of my going to a church camp and one of the rules they had was that you couldn't bring a walkman (yeah, it was a while ago). I mean, really, what do they have against that?

It's not really a church camp, I am just going with a group of people from my LDS church. And no, we can't bring walkmen either. (though I considered bringing one anyway. I mean, they don't strip search you at the door.)
Kinda ridiculous... I heard you have to go for two weeks if you get caught with a digital watch. :biggrin:

photon said:
It's not really a church camp, I am just going with a group of people from my LDS church. And no, we can't bring walkmen either. (though I considered bringing one anyway. I mean, they don't strip search you at the door.)
Kinda ridiculous... I heard you have to go for two weeks if you get caught with a digital watch. :biggrin:

That is ridiculous. I say just bring whatever you want and if they say to get rid of it ask them why. Yeah, I'd challenge them on that. :approve:

What's wrong with having a digital watch? I never did the summer camp thing as a kid. Didn't sound like much fun, and I'm not the sort to blindly follow orders, so I'd have been entertaining myself asking why I couldn't have a digital watch and would have probably gotten sent home early anyway.

I suggest a thorough reading of the practical jokes thread before leaving! Actually, those aren't really too helpful since they would require more materials than you would have available.

The one rule I suggest you do follow is any rules about not having food in your cabin...those sorts of places always have plenty of ants around, and the smallest crumb can land you with a bed full of ants at night. No fun. Though, if you leave the crumbs in your bunkmate's bed, then it might be more fun.

I'll stop being a bad influence now.

Moonbear said:
What's wrong with having a digital watch? I never did the summer camp thing as a kid. Didn't sound like much fun, and I'm not the sort to blindly follow orders, so I'd have been entertaining myself asking why I couldn't have a digital watch and would have probably gotten sent home early anyway.

I feel you, Moons. I'd definitely have to challenge that rule and others like it.

Ah, church camp. I remember it well. On the first day there, some little ruffian got out the new bar of soap his mother had packed for him. Then he opened up his pocketknife and started carving the soap. He left the soap shavings on the floor, naturally.

Janitor said:
Ah, church camp. I remember it well. On the first day there, some little ruffian got out the new bar of soap his mother had packed for him. Then he opened up his pocketknife and started carving the soap. He left the soap shavings on the floor, naturally.

So, in these sorts of camps, it's okay to bring along a pocketknife, but not a digital watch or walkman? :confused:

Well... this particular kid probably brought a Playboy magazine too. I don't think there was any real shakedown when we arrived at the camp.

Janitor said:
Well... this particular kid probably brought a Playboy magazine too.

Oh, that sinner! :bugeye:

Yeah, but isn't it just that kind of little snot that becomes CEO of an oil company, or something like that?

Like I said, I never did the summer camp thing, but in 6th grade, we had a class trip to a State Forest for a week. They made us live in those ant infested cabins and I mostly remember bad food and bathrooms that were way too far from everything else. For that trip though, we really did get the shake down. The teachers searched all our luggage...they should have those teachers running airport security! They even opened every mouthwash and shampoo bottle to make sure they didn't have alcohol in them. This is how I learned that alcohol can be hidden in a shampoo bottle...weren't they such good teachers? That came in handy in college when we filled saline bottles (the ones for washing contacts) with vodka and made our own mixed drinks right in the dining hall.

Photon, stick to asking the counselors over and over why you can't have a digital watch. Would an analog watch be allowed? Sorry, I'm still stuck on that...I just don't get it. I really can't think of any reason that wouldn't be allowed. Some kid must have figured out something mischievous to do with a digital watch at some point in time to result in such a bizarre rule being created. Maybe you should just bring along a sundial. I bet that's not on their forbidden list :-)

Wait a second, I was joking about the digital watch thing. It's funny you guys thought I was serious...

But yeah, this will definitely be interesting. The good part is I'm going with a bunch of good friends and we'll be doing weird things like having splash fights in kayacks and stuff. (that is, until some paranoid counselor takes notice...)

The six hour drive down there will be rather interesting, as I'll be in a car with a bunch that think I'm a riot. Really, I'll have to keep everyone entertained for the whole ride!

photon said:
But yeah, this will definitely be interesting. The good part is I'm going with a bunch of good friends and we'll be doing weird things like having splash fights in kayacks and stuff. (that is, until some paranoid counselor takes notice...)

The six hour drive down there will be rather interesting, as I'll be in a car with a bunch that think I'm a riot. Really, I'll have to keep everyone entertained for the whole ride!

I am totally jealous, photon! Sounds like a blast! When you get back I want to hear all about the pranks! :biggrin:

photon said:
Really, I'll have to keep everyone entertained for the whole ride!

Don't you just hate when you have to be the one to do that? I mean, if you run out of ideas and things to say or do, then there's going to be an awkward silence. And nobody likes those.

photon said:
Wait a second, I was joking about the digital watch thing. It's funny you guys thought I was serious...

:blush: You got me with that one! I really thought you were serious, it sounded just strange enough to be true.

Kayaking sounds fun! Especially the splashing part. Have a blast!

Related to How to Survive a Week at Summer Camp?

1. What are the common causes of summer camp blues?

The most common causes of summer camp blues include homesickness, difficulty making friends, feeling overwhelmed by new activities, and missing the comfort and routine of home.

2. How can I help my child cope with summer camp blues?

As a parent, you can help your child cope with summer camp blues by staying in touch through letters or emails, encouraging them to make new friends, and talking to them about their feelings. It's also important to remind them of the exciting activities they will experience at camp.

3. What can camp counselors do to address summer camp blues?

Camp counselors can address summer camp blues by creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere, being attentive to campers' needs and emotions, and providing opportunities for campers to bond and build friendships.

4. Are there any strategies for preventing summer camp blues?

While it's common for campers to experience some level of summer camp blues, there are some strategies that can help prevent or minimize them. These include preparing your child for camp beforehand, involving them in the decision-making process of choosing a camp, and choosing a camp that aligns with their interests and abilities.

5. When should I be concerned about my child's summer camp blues?

If your child's summer camp blues persist for more than a week or significantly impact their ability to participate in camp activities, it may be a sign of a deeper issue. In this case, it's important to communicate with the camp staff and your child to find a solution and provide extra support if needed.