How to supply Serial Clock Input into an audio-ADC IC?

In summary, the user is struggling with their audio ADC, specifically an AD7811 from Farnell. They are unsure of what clock input they should supply and are seeking advice from senior members. The advice given is to use the datasheet for reference, and to use a microcontroller as the source of the clock. The datasheet is referenced for further information on how to connect the ADC to different microcontrollers. The user clarifies that they want to directly convert an analog signal into a serial digital output without using a microcontroller and asks for simpler types of ADC and DAC for audio conversion and transmission.
lousyanson
Hi seniors,

I am struggling something with my audio ADC.
I bought AD7811 from farnell, which is an ADC to convert my analog data into digital. But at this stage, i found that a SERIAL CLOCK INPUT is needed to supply into the IC.
However, I m wondering what exactly the clock i should supply?
Hopefully, senior can give any advice to overcome this problem. thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use the datasheet for your answer. You can find it here:

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD7811_7812.pdf"

I assume you use a uC to drive the ADC. The clock comes from uC. On the ADC DIN input, the uC sends the serial data to program the ADC. Each bit is registered in the ADC on each pulse of the clock. Look in the ADC datasheet, page 15, Fig. 18.

The ADC DOUT sends the converted data to uC. It uses the clock the same way. Each data bit is sent to the uC on each clock pulse. Fig. 18 in the datasheet shows this as well. Read the text on page 15 for more info.

Also, pages 16 and 17 show how to connect the ADC to different microcontrollers.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks adrian.
Anyway, i think maybe i din make this clear that i want to directly convert the analog signal into serial digital output and no microcontroller is used.
so i wonder what SCLK and CONVST input ?
However, I m looking for much simple type of the ADC and DAC for audio conversion den transmission.. hopefully, any senior here could give ur point of view regarding this issue.

thanks

Related to How to supply Serial Clock Input into an audio-ADC IC?

1. What is a Serial Clock Input and why is it needed for an audio-ADC IC?

A Serial Clock Input is a signal that provides a timing reference for data transfer between the audio-ADC IC and the digital interface. It is needed to ensure that data is transferred at the correct speed and in the correct order.

2. How do I determine the appropriate frequency for the Serial Clock Input?

The appropriate frequency for the Serial Clock Input depends on the specific audio-ADC IC being used. It is typically specified in the datasheet and can range from a few kilohertz to several megahertz. It is important to choose a frequency that is within the specified range to ensure proper functioning of the IC.

3. Can the Serial Clock Input be generated internally or does it need to be supplied externally?

This depends on the design of the audio-ADC IC. Some ICs have an internal clock generator, while others require an external clock source. It is important to consult the datasheet for the specific IC being used to determine the appropriate method for supplying the Serial Clock Input.

4. What are the potential consequences of supplying an incorrect Serial Clock Input frequency?

If the Serial Clock Input frequency is too low, the data transfer may be too slow and the audio-ADC IC may not be able to function properly. On the other hand, if the frequency is too high, it can cause errors in the data transfer and potentially damage the IC. It is important to ensure that the correct frequency is supplied to avoid any potential issues.

5. Are there any special considerations when routing the Serial Clock Input signal?

Yes, the Serial Clock Input signal is a critical timing signal and must be routed carefully to avoid noise and interference. It is recommended to use a dedicated ground plane and to minimize the length of the clock traces to reduce the potential for interference. Additionally, it is important to avoid routing the clock signal alongside other high-speed signals to avoid crosstalk.