How to Suggest Moving a Thread?

• Thread starter inflector
  • Start date
In summary, the proper channel for suggesting or requesting that a thread be moved from one forum to another is to hit the "report" button on your own post and explain why you think it should be moved. This makes it easier for moderators to find and handle the request. Alternatively, moderators may eventually come across the thread on their own, but reporting it will expedite the process.
inflector
What is the proper channel for suggesting/requesting that a thread get moved from one forum to another?

For instance, there is a thread here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=337857

that I really think should be moved to the Special and General Relativity forum. What's the proper method for suggesting a change like this?

Or should I assume that moderators read all the threads and will get to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way, which I have done in the past, is to hit the "report" button on your own post. You then have the opportunity to state why you think that it should be moved. If it is really inappropriate for the forum, the Mentors will eventually get around to it, but it's a lot easier if you guide them to it.

inflector said:
What is the proper channel for suggesting/requesting that a thread get moved from one forum to another?

For instance, there is a thread here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=337857

that I really think should be moved to the Special and General Relativity forum. What's the proper method for suggesting a change like this?

Or should I assume that moderators read all the threads and will get to it?
Just report the thread, using the report button (disregard what is says the button is for) and ask if it should be moved. The mentors will look it over and decide what to do.

Edit: I see Danger beat me to it.

Evo said:
Edit: I see Danger beat me to it.

There's a first time for everything, I guess. I'm usually a couple of kilometres behind you. (Not to suggest that viewing you from the rear is in any way unattractive, but it's so much nicer from the front. :-p)

It's worth mentioning that, when you report a post, please ignore the following message that gets displayed:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.

Thanks everyone. I had thought of the reporting option but was waved off by the warning message.

Related to How to Suggest Moving a Thread?

1. How do I suggest moving a thread to a different forum?

To suggest moving a thread to a different forum, you can contact a moderator or administrator of the forum and provide them with the link to the thread and the forum you believe it should be moved to. They will then review your suggestion and make the decision to move the thread or not.

2. Is there a specific format for suggesting a thread move?

There is no specific format for suggesting a thread move, but it is helpful to provide a clear and concise reason for why you believe the thread should be moved to a different forum. This will assist the moderator or administrator in making their decision.

3. Can I suggest moving someone else's thread?

Yes, you can suggest moving someone else's thread if you believe it would fit better in a different forum. However, it is important to respect the original poster's intentions and consider if they may have a reason for posting in a specific forum.

4. How long does it usually take for a thread to be moved?

The time it takes for a thread to be moved can vary depending on the forum's moderation process. It is best to be patient and allow the moderator or administrator to review your suggestion and make a decision.

5. What happens if my suggestion to move a thread is denied?

If your suggestion to move a thread is denied, the thread will remain in its original forum. You can try reaching out to the moderator or administrator for more information on why your suggestion was denied and if there are any other options for moving the thread.