How to spend my gap years meaningfully before undergrad?

In summary, the speaker has recently finished their A-Levels and is now taking a gap year before starting their undergraduate studies in Physics. They are looking for meaningful opportunities during this time, such as work experience or internships with organizations like CERN or ESA. However, they have discovered that these opportunities are typically only available to current undergraduates or postgraduates. They are seeking advice on other ways to benefit their future career as a physicist, such as taking on challenging physics problems and learning advanced mathematics. They also mention the possibility of internships or lab work with other firms and organizations.
shao
Greetings!
Having finished my A-Levels, some unforeseen circumstances had forced me to take 2 gap years before starting my undergraduate studies in Physics, and I hope to make these 2 years count by doing something meaningful. The first thing that comes to mind is work experience/internship opportunities with organizations such as CERN or ESA. However, after a few hours of Googling, I've found out that all of these opportunities are reserved for current undergraduates/postgraduates.

My question is :
For those that had been in my shoes before, what are the things that I can do that will benefit my future career as a physicist? Are there any such work/intern opportunities that I might have missed?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
try tackling the mysteries in physics. you don't necessarily have to solve it though, but doing your best helps

I don't know other activities (and make sure you do other things) but firstly I would learn as much maths as possible (upto the highest level you possibly can-following the course outline of your physics program (ie the maths needed)) as physicists must be mathematicians too.

Maybe an internship or lab work if possible with other firms and organisations? But definitely learn the maths, among other things. Good luck!

Last edited:

Related to How to spend my gap years meaningfully before undergrad?

1. What are some potential activities to do during my gap years?

There are many options for spending your gap years meaningfully before starting undergraduate studies. Some popular choices include traveling, volunteering, interning, working, or pursuing personal interests and hobbies. It's important to choose activities that align with your goals and interests.

2. How can I ensure that my gap years will benefit me in the long run?

To make the most out of your gap years, it's important to have a plan and set goals for yourself. Think about what skills or experiences you want to gain and how they will benefit you in the future. Reflect on your interests and career goals to guide your decisions during your gap years.

3. Is it necessary to have a structured program or can I create my own gap year experience?

Both options are valid and can lead to a meaningful gap year experience. Some people prefer to join structured programs that provide guidance and opportunities for personal and professional development. Others choose to create their own experience by combining different activities and experiences that align with their goals and interests.

4. How can I fund my gap years?

Funding your gap years can be challenging, but there are various options available. You can save money from part-time jobs or freelance work, apply for scholarships, or look for funding opportunities through organizations or programs. It's important to plan and budget carefully to make sure you have enough funds to support your activities.

5. Will taking a gap year affect my college applications?

Taking a gap year can actually enhance your college applications if you use your time effectively. Admissions officers value students who have meaningful experiences and can demonstrate personal growth and maturity. Make sure to communicate how your gap year has contributed to your personal and academic development in your college application essays and interviews.