How to Solve Venn Diagram Questions with Multiple Possible Answers?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving finding the number of people who play two or three sports, given the total number of people and the number of people in each individual sport. The conversation also mentions different equations and approaches for solving the problem, as well as the potential for multiple solutions depending on the given information.
Psyguy22
These kind of questions always get to me and I don't know how to solve them.

Lets say that there are X many people that are in sports. Y of them are in soccer, Z of them are in cross country, and A of them are in basketball. And Y+Z+A>X

How would i find out how many people do two sports or all three?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let S(2,3) be those who practice two or three sports, (Y,Z),(Y,A),(Z,A) those practicing two sports, and (Y,Z,A) those practicing 3.
Then, S(2,3) equals the sum of those 4 disjoint groups.
Agreed?
Furthermore, let Y(0) be those ONLY playing soccer, and similarly for the 2 others.

Then, we have the equation:
S(2,3)+Y(0)+Z(0)+A(0)=X (*!*)

Now, we have, of course, Y(0)=Y-(Y,Z)-(Y,Z,A) and so on.

Now, inserting these into (*!*), we may simplify this to:

Y+Z+A-S(2,3)-(Y,Z,A)=X (!)

Therefore, in order to solve (!) for S(2,3) uniquely (knowing Y+Z+A and X), you need to know how many play 3 sports.

Obviously, (Y,Z,A) must be less than or equal to S(2,3)

This CAN help you in a specific case:
If you know Y+Z+A-X=1, it follows immediately that (Y,Z,A)=0

Last edited:
First, what do you mean by *!* is that some kind of factorial? And same thing with !? Other than those, I followed that pretty well.

Those were NAMES I gave to my favourite equations. If you prefer to call them "Peter" and "Polly", by all means do so.
:smile:

Firstly find n(a^y)
then n(y^z) , n(a^z) and n(a^y^z)
The answer will be = n(a^Y)+n(y^z) + n(a^z) - 2*n(a^y^z)
where n(a^y) denotes no. of players who play both soccer and basketball,
n(a^y^z) denotes no. of players who play all the three games

Last edited:
I'm sorry, you completely lost me there. I haven't learned about U or ^ yet.

Psyguy22 said:
I'm sorry, you completely lost me there. I haven't learned about U or ^ yet.
He is using ^ as the logical operator AND.
There are many ways to split up a Venn problem, hopefully, the approach I gave you made sense (even though I gave my equations names, but didn't inform you on that)

Ok. So now I'm trying to understand this more.
I just made up these numbers
There are 24 people.12 play soccer, 9 run cross, and 10 are in basketball. How many play two sports? How many play three?
I tried putting in Y(0)=12-(y,z)-(y,z,a) but I am not.sure how to simplfy that.

Well, X=24, Y+Z+A=31
Thus, you have, by inserting in (!), and rearranging:
S(2,3)+(Y,Z,A)=7 (agreed?)

Now, this can refer to the following situations:
a) There are 7 players who play two sports, none playing all
b) There are 5 players who play two sports, and 1 playing all
c) There are 3 players who play two sports, and 2 playing all
d) There is 1 player who plays two sports, and 3 playing all

In total, you have 70 unique arrangements satisfying the conditions you gave, with
36 unique arrangements of the a)-solution
21 unique arrangements of the b)-solution
10 unique arrangements of the c)-solution
3 unique versions of the d)-solution.

So this question has multiple answers?
Thank you for your guys help!

Psyguy22 said:
So this question has multiple answers?
With no further information given, yes.
In exercises, there will usually be additional information to specify down to unique solution.
Thank you for your guys help!
You're welcome.

Related to How to Solve Venn Diagram Questions with Multiple Possible Answers?

1. What is a Venn diagram type question?

A Venn diagram type question is a visual representation of sets and their relationships. It consists of overlapping circles or other shapes to show common and unique elements among the sets.

2. How do I solve a Venn diagram type question?

To solve a Venn diagram type question, you need to carefully analyze the given information and then fill in the appropriate elements in the diagram. It is important to understand the relationship between the sets and use logical reasoning to determine the correct answers.

3. What is the purpose of using a Venn diagram in a question?

The purpose of using a Venn diagram in a question is to visually represent the relationships between sets and make it easier to understand and solve problems involving multiple sets. It also allows for a more organized and systematic approach to problem-solving.

4. What are some common types of questions that use Venn diagrams?

Venn diagrams are commonly used in questions involving sets, such as probability, logic, and data interpretation problems. They can also be used in subjects like math, science, and social studies to show relationships between different concepts or categories.

5. Are there any strategies for solving Venn diagram type questions?

Yes, some strategies for solving Venn diagram type questions include identifying the given information, labeling the sets and their relationships, using logical reasoning, and double-checking your answers. It can also be helpful to practice with different types of Venn diagrams to become more familiar with their structure and how to solve them.