Using Venn Diagram to Solve Precalculus Quantitative Methods Qs

In summary, there are 7 students taking both statistics and economics without accounting, 18 students attending only the statistics course, 134 students taking at least one of the three courses, and 16 students not taking any of the three courses.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Very difficult precalculus quantitative methods questions, please help!?

Of 150 students registered at a local university, 76 are attending an accounting course, 49 are taking statistics, 55 in economics, 24 attending the accounting and the statistics course, 22 registered in both statistics and economics courses and 15 are taking all three courses. (A Venn diagram may prove useful)

1) how many students are taking both the statistics and the economics courses without taking the accounting course?

2) how many students are attending the statistics course but nether the accounting nor the economics courses?

3) how many students are taking the accounting course or the statistics course or the economics course?

4) how many of these 150 registered students are not taking any of these three courses?

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello j,

I have drawn a Venn diagram and filled it in, which I will explain:

View attachment 937

I began with the fact that we are told 15 are taking all 3 courses, so I wrote 15 in the intersection of all 3 sets, representing the 3 courses.

Next, I looked at the statement that 22 registered in both statistics and economics, and 15 of those are already accounted for in the first step, so that leaves 7 to go where statistics and economics intersect but outside of accounting.

Next, I looked at the statement that 24 are attending accounting and statistics, and 15 of those are already accounted for in the first step, so that leaves 9 to go where statistics and accounting intersect but outside of economics.

No statement is made regarding the number attending accounting and economics, so I put 0 where accounting and economics intersect outside of statistics.

Next, I looked at the statement that 55 are in economics, and since 15 + 7 = 22 are already accounted for, this leaves 33 to write in economics but outside of the other two courses.

Next, I looked at the statement that 49 are in statistics, and since 15 + 9 + 7 = 31 are already accounted for, this leaves 18 to write in statistics but outside of the other two courses.

Lastly, I looked at the statement that 76 are in accounting, and since 15 + 9 = 24 are already accounted for, this leaves 52 to write in accounting but outside of the other two courses.

Now we are able to answer the questions:

1.) How many students are taking both the statistics and the economics courses without taking the accounting course?

We see this is 7.

2.) How many students are attending the statistics course but neither the accounting nor the economics courses?

We see this is 18.

3.) How many students are taking the accounting course or the statistics course or the economics course?

Adding all the numbers, we find this number is 52 + 9 + 18 + 15 + 7 + 33 = 134.

4.) How many of these 150 registered students are not taking any of these three courses?

We see this is 150 - 134 = 16.

Attachments

• jvenn.jpg
    jvenn.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 59

Related to Using Venn Diagram to Solve Precalculus Quantitative Methods Qs

1. What is a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is a visual representation of the relationships between sets of data. It consists of overlapping circles or other shapes, with each circle representing a different set and the overlapping areas representing the similarities between the sets.

2. How can a Venn diagram be used to solve Precalculus quantitative methods questions?

Venn diagrams are a useful tool for organizing and comparing different types of data. In Precalculus, they can be used to visualize and solve problems involving sets, logic, and probability.

3. What are the key elements of a Venn diagram?

The key elements of a Venn diagram include the circles or shapes representing the sets, the overlapping areas representing the intersections of the sets, and the labels or numbers used to describe the data within each set and intersection.

4. How do I create a Venn diagram?

To create a Venn diagram, start by identifying the sets of data you want to compare and determine their relationships (e.g. are they mutually exclusive or do they overlap?). Then, draw overlapping circles or shapes to represent each set, and label them accordingly. Finally, fill in the overlapping areas with the appropriate data to complete the diagram.

5. Can a Venn diagram be used for more than two sets of data?

Yes, Venn diagrams can be used to compare and contrast any number of sets. In cases where there are more than three sets, a more complex diagram with multiple overlapping areas may be needed.