How to solve this non-homogenous second order ODE?

In summary, the author suggests trying the undetermined coefficients method to solve an ODE with undetermined coefficients.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

[itex]y''-2y+y=xe^xlnx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I should do here because lnx. Is it possible to solve this ODE with undetermined coefficients method? how can I solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

Sounds like a good plan.
Did you try the undetermined coefficients method?

As for the lnx, typically you can integrate that using integration by parts.

AdrianZ said:

Homework Statement

[itex]y''-2y+y=xe^xlnx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I should do here because lnx. Is it possible to solve this ODE with undetermined coefficients method? how can I solve it?

Try variation of parameters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters
It is quite easy in this case.

ehild

I like Serena said:
Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

Sounds like a good plan.
Did you try the undetermined coefficients method?

As for the lnx, typically you can integrate that using integration by parts.

The problem is I don't know what should be the general form that I should consider to determine the coefficients. That's where I'm stuck.

ehild said:
Try variation of parameters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters
It is quite easy in this case.

ehild

I read the wikipedia page, I don't know what that method is, the wikipedia explanations are a bit confusing but I've already solved the ODE using the method where we take yp of the form v1y1+v2y2 and then we find v1 and v2 using a linear system of equations that are dependent to the derivatives of v's.
The thing is that the author has put this problem in the section of U.C method, so I'm wondering if he wants us to solve it using the undetermined coefficients method?

Hmm, as I see it both methods are basically the same.
I need a magnifying glass to go over the exact definition to understand the difference.
If I understand correctly the Variation of parameters is more generally put.

So what is it that you are unclear about?
Or what is it that you think you should do?
I don't really understand from what you write.

AdrianZ said:
I read the wikipedia page, I don't know what that method is, the wikipedia explanations are a bit confusing but I've already solved the ODE using the method where we take yp of the form v1y1+v2y2 and then we find v1 and v2 using a linear system of equations that are dependent to the derivatives of v's.
You applied exactly the method of "variation of parameters":smile:

AdrianZ said:
The thing is that the author has put this problem in the section of U.C method, so I'm wondering if he wants us to solve it using the undetermined coefficients method?

Ln(x)has to appear in the solution anyway. You know the solution now, but pretend that you do not know, :smile: and choose a trial function according to it but with unknown constants. But I do not think they meant that.

ehild

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hmm, as I see it both methods are basically the same.

No, they are basically different.

The method of undetermined coefficients uses trial functions. There are listed such ones for different types of functions on the right hand side in relation with the roots of the characteristic equation of the homogeneous part.See attachment.

ehild

Attachments

• undetcoef.jpg
    undetcoef.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 516
ehild said:
No, they are basically different.

The method of undetermined coefficients uses trial functions. There are listed such ones for different types of functions on the right hand side in relation with the roots of the characteristic equation of the homogeneous part.See attachment.

ehild

Ah, okay.

So for the method of undetermined coefficients, you need to "guess" the particular solution with some undetermined coefficients.
Possibly with the help of a table.

And for the method of Variation of parameters, you consider the coefficient of the homogeneous solution to be a function.

I think that typically, when you work this out, you'll find a particular solution that matches the "guess" that you would otherwise have made.
I guess that with this solution, you can make a very good "educated guess". ;)

Exactly. If the inhomogeneous part is a polynomial or exponential or sine, cosine, (or product of those) the "undetermined coefficient" method is usually easier than the variation of parameters.See the tread as an example https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=554093. But I have never seen it applied to a logarithm function.

ehild

Last edited:
And what is this method called? :-p

Let be y=ex Y.
Substituting into the ode, we get the equation Y"=xln(x), so Y=x3(6 ln(x)-5)/36, yp=exx3(6 ln(x)-5)/36.ehild

ehild said:
And what is this method called? :-p

Let be y=ex Y.
Substituting into the ode, we get the equation Y"=xln(x), so Y=x3(6 ln(x)-5)/36, yp=exx3(6 ln(x)-5)/36.

ehild

Isn't that just the method of Variation of parameters? :confused:

In principle, it is. As y1=exp(x) and y2=x exp(x), yp=v1y1+v2y2=exp(x)(Y). In case of equal roots, there is only one parameter to vary.

ehild

But y=C ex is the principal homogeneous solution.

So isn't y=Y(x) ex a variation of the parameter? :confused:

Edit: you just beat me to it.

Btw, with the homogeneous solution y=C1 ex + C2 x ex, aren't there 2 parameters that you could vary?

excan be factored out. Then [c1(x)+c2(x) x] is a single function of x. I could vary as many parameters as I like, but why if one is enough?

By the way, when we derive the solution with variation of parameters, c1 and c2 are not arbitrary. It is assumed that c1'y1+c2'y2=0.

ehild

I see.

Related to How to solve this non-homogenous second order ODE?

1. How do I identify a non-homogenous second order ODE?

A non-homogenous second order ODE is one that has a non-zero term that is not multiplied by the dependent variable or its derivatives. In other words, it does not have the form of y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0. Instead, it has the form of y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = f(x), where f(x) is a non-zero function.

2. What is the general approach to solving a non-homogenous second order ODE?

The general approach to solving a non-homogenous second order ODE involves finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, and then using the method of variation of parameters to find a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation. The general solution is then given by the sum of the homogeneous and particular solutions.

3. How do I find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation?

The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation can be found by assuming a solution of the form y(x) = e^(rx), where r is a constant to be determined. Plugging this into the homogeneous equation will give a characteristic equation, which can be solved for r. The solutions to the characteristic equation will then be used to construct the general solution y(x) = c1e^(r1x) + c2e^(r2x).

4. What is the method of variation of parameters?

The method of variation of parameters involves finding a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation by assuming a solution of the form y(x) = u1(x)y1(x) + u2(x)y2(x), where y1(x) and y2(x) are linearly independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation. The functions u1(x) and u2(x) are then determined by plugging this assumed solution into the non-homogeneous equation and solving for u1(x) and u2(x).

5. Are there any special cases for solving non-homogeneous second order ODEs?

Yes, there are two special cases for solving non-homogeneous second order ODEs: when the non-homogeneous term f(x) is a polynomial function or when it is an exponential function. In these cases, there are specific methods that can be used to find a particular solution without using the method of variation of parameters.