How to solve these 3 IQ practice questions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter JDW1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, Jack and Jill are both one and a third times as old as Sid and Mary. If their ages total 119, Jack and Jill would each receive 57 shares of £450.00.
JDW1
Hi, I'm JDW, I've got three questions I had in this IQ revision test which I could not complete due to not knowing the method, I'll type questions below, I'm just looking for an explanation on how to answer them, thank you very much :D.

Jack is one and a third times as old as Jill. How old are Jack and Jill if their combined ages total 119?

The average of three numbers is 19. The average of the two of these numbers is 15. What is the third number?

Sid and Mary wish to share out £450,00 in the ratio 3:2 How much will each receive?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JDW said:
Hi, I'm JDW, I've got three questions I had in this IQ revision test which I could not complete due to not knowing the method, I'll type questions below, I'm just looking for an explanation on how to answer them, thank you very much :D.

I find that these word problems become much simpler if you "convert" them to letters and use algebra and write down everything the question tells us.

Jack is one and a third times as old as Jill. How old are Jack and Jill if their combined ages total 119?

Let Jack's age be $x$ and Jill's age be $y$.
The question tells us that $x = \frac{4}{3}y$ (the red text) and $x+y = 119$ (the green text)

This is now a straightforward simultaneous equation that can be solved using your favourite method. As a useful check make sure that $x > y$

The average of three numbers is 19. The average of the two of these numbers is 15. What is the third number?

Consider what the average is defined as - the sum of a set of values divided by the amount of values. In symbols $\displaystyle \mu = \frac{a+b+c+...+n}{n}$

Let your three numbers be a, b and c - you should be able to construct simultaneous equations and find the value you want.

Sid and Mary wish to share out £450,00 in the ratio 3:2 How much will each receive?

Ratios are quite simple. Add the "shares" together (3:2) and multiply the initial value by the amount to be shared (450.00). As a check your values should add to £450.00

Hello, JDW!

Here's the second one . . .

The average of three numbers is 19.
The average of the two of these numbers is 15.
What is the third number?

Let the three numbers be [tex]a,b,c.[/tex]

Their average is 19: .[tex]\frac{a+b+c}{3} \:=\:19 \quad\Rightarrow\quad a + b + c \:=\:57\;\;[1][/tex]

The average of two numbers is 15: .[tex]\frac{a+b}{2} \:=\:15 \quad\Rightarrow\quad a + b \:=\:30\;\;[2][/tex]

Subtract [1] - [2]: .[tex]c \:=\:27[/tex]

Related to How to solve these 3 IQ practice questions?

1. How can I approach solving these IQ practice questions?

The best approach to solving IQ practice questions is to first understand the question and identify any patterns or relationships. Then, use logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to break the question down into smaller parts and eliminate any obviously incorrect options.

2. What strategies can I use to solve these IQ practice questions?

Some effective strategies for solving IQ practice questions include using process of elimination, working backwards, and making educated guesses. It's also important to read the question carefully and pay attention to any specific instructions or clues.

3. How do I know if my answer to an IQ practice question is correct?

The only way to know for sure if your answer is correct is to check it against the provided answer key. If you do not have an answer key, you can try solving the question using a different method or approach to see if you get the same answer. It may also be helpful to ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can I improve my IQ by practicing these types of questions?

IQ practice questions can help improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which may indirectly improve your overall IQ. However, IQ is also influenced by many other factors, such as genetics and upbringing, so practicing these questions may not necessarily lead to a higher IQ.

5. How can I stay calm and focused while solving these IQ practice questions?

It's important to take breaks and pace yourself while solving IQ practice questions to avoid getting overwhelmed. Deep breathing and positive self-talk can also help to reduce stress and maintain focus. Remember to trust in your abilities and try not to get discouraged if you are struggling with a particular question.