Ratio of Chen and Father's age: How old is Miss Chen's father now?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Johnx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Ratio
Your Name]In summary, Miss Chen's father is currently 40 years old. This can be determined using two methods: setting up and solving equations or using the "unit" approach to set up a proportion between the before and after ratios. Both methods lead to the same answer of 40.
Johnx1
The ratio of Miss Chen's age to her father's age is 2:5. In 8 years' time, the ratio of their ages will become 1:2. How old is Miss Chen's father now?

My work.

Age of Chen = C
Age of Father = F

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method 1:

Now: (C/F) = (2/5) => C = (2/5)F

After: (C + 8)/(F + 8) = (1/2)

=> C = (F/2 - 4)

* I then plugged C = (2/5)F into C = (F/2 - 4)

=> (2/5)F = (F/2) - 4

Answer: The father age is 40.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2: I'm trying this other method that I'm not fully sure about call units (not fully sure what's it called)

My work:

Now:
C : F Total
2 : 5 7After:
1 : 2 3So then I made the total units the same. So I times 3 in the Before unit and 7 in the after unit. I got this:

Now:
6 : 15 21

After:
7 : 14 21

Then I found the difference of before and after units. 15 - 14 = 1

so 1 unit = 8 (I chose 8 because it's the difference)

Since we want to know what is age is for now. I did 8 * 5 (the 5 is from the Now ratio) = 40My question is, is what I did for method 1 and 2 correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Your method 1 is correct and is the more common way to solve this type of problem. Your approach in method 2 is also correct, but it is not commonly used and may be more confusing for others to follow. It is important to understand both methods, but method 1 is the more widely accepted and used method.

In method 1, you correctly set up the equations and solved for the father's age to be 40. In method 2, you used the "unit" approach, which is essentially setting up a proportion between the before and after ratios. This also leads to the same answer of the father's age being 40.

Great job on solving the problem! Keep up the good work.

Related to Ratio of Chen and Father's age: How old is Miss Chen's father now?

What is the ratio between Chen and her father's age?

The ratio between Chen and her father's age is not provided in the question. Therefore, it cannot be determined.

How old is Miss Chen's father now?

This question cannot be accurately answered without knowing either Miss Chen or her father's current age. All we know is the ratio between their ages.

If Miss Chen is currently 20 years old, how old is her father?

Without knowing the current age of Miss Chen's father or the ratio between their ages, it is impossible to accurately determine his age.

What information would be needed to accurately determine Miss Chen's father's age?

In order to accurately determine Miss Chen's father's age, we would need to know either his current age or the ratio between their ages.

Why is the ratio between Chen and her father's age important?

The ratio between Chen and her father's age may be important for various reasons, such as determining the age difference between them or analyzing trends in age demographics.