How to Solve the 4th Thermodynamics Question on Heat Capacity?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the rates of heat loss and absorption by air and water. The specific heat capacity is mentioned as a necessary value, but the person is having trouble finding it in their tables. They eventually find the value through a Google search.
DrVirz

Homework Statement

Hi all, please see uploaded pics. I can do the first 3 questions but can't get my head around the 4th. Any help is appreciated.

Capture_zpsiwkqpcld.jpg

DSC_0157_zpswmfhsrg7.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate at which heat is lost by the air [itex]P_{air}[/itex], equals to minus the rate [itex]P_{water}[/itex]at which heat is absorbed by the water. So it will be [itex]P_{air}=-P_{water}[/itex].

[itex]P_{air}=C_{air}\dot{m}_{air}(47-167)[/itex], [itex]P_{water}=C_{water}\dot{m}_{water}(40-35)[/itex]

Hi Delta,

What have you denoted as C?

Its the specific heat capacity. For water is 4.17 and for air around 1.01 at the temperatures of this problem.

I thought it was the specific heat capacity but I can only find the Cv/Cp for water in any of the tables from my text which was confusing me a bit.

Cheers for the help!

DrVirz said:
I thought it was the specific heat capacity but I can only find the Cv/Cp for water in any of the tables from my text which was confusing me a bit.

Cheers for the help!
It's liquid water. What is the heat capacity of liquid water?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It's liquid water. What is the heat capacity of liquid water?

Chet

Sorry in my previous post i meant to say CANT find the Cv/Cp value for water in any of my tables.

DrVirz said:
Sorry in my previous post i meant to say CANT find the Cv/Cp value for water in any of my tables.
The heat capacity of liquid water is 4.18 kJ/kg C. Did you not see Δ2's post # 4? Are you saying you never had this in freshman physics?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The heat capacity of liquid water is 4.18 kJ/kg C. Did you not see Δ2's post # 4? Are you saying you never had this in freshman physics?

Chet

Yes I did see that in Delta's post. I am just saying, naturally, I refer to the tables for my data values and when I didn't come across a value for water it threw me off. I thought I had done something wrong. That's what happens when you have been studying all day I guess, time to take a rest.

DrVirz said:
Yes I did see that in Delta's post. I am just saying, naturally, I refer to the tables for my data values and when I didn't come across a value for water it threw me off. I thought I had done something wrong. That's what happens when you have been studying all day I guess, time to take a rest.
All I did was Google "heat capacity of water."

Chet

Related to How to Solve the 4th Thermodynamics Question on Heat Capacity?

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied in real life?

The first law of thermodynamics is applied in various ways in our daily lives, such as in the process of photosynthesis in plants, the functioning of a refrigerator, and the production of electricity in power plants.

3. What is the significance of the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of energy in all physical and chemical processes. It helps us understand and predict the changes in energy during these processes and plays a crucial role in many scientific fields.

4. Can the first law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been proven to hold true in all observed physical and chemical processes.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the conservation of energy?

The first law of thermodynamics is essentially a statement of the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. It is a specific application of the broader principle of energy conservation.