How to solve SDOF for an impact test

In summary, the problem is asking for help in solving a single degree of freedom system to compare the impact force of a steel ball falling onto a concrete beam with a known acceleration and mid-span displacement. The suggested solution involves using the physical characteristics of the beam, specifically its ends being simply supported, to calculate the force applied.
StathPol
Hi guys,

Can you help me with my problem please? if a steel ball 10 kg falls from 1 metre (free fall) and hits a concrete beam, how can I solve a single degree of freedom system to get the impact force and compare it with the test?

Acceleration of the steel ball is known (so impact force can be calculated)
Mid-span displacement of the beam is known as well.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This question seems to be essentially the same as one I replied to recently ?

Yes, but i think the post was deleted or something. i cannot find it. Is it possible to re-post your reply please?

Homework Statement

Can you help me with my problem please? if a steel ball 10 kg falls from 1 metre (free fall) and hits a concrete beam, how can I solve a single degree of freedom system to get the impact force and compare it with the test?

Acceleration of the steel ball is known (so impact force can be calculated)
Mid-span displacement of the beam is known as well.

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to solve the equation of motion with the graphs but i couldn't do it.

If you have the physical characteristics of the beam and if its ends are simply supported then you can calculate the force utilizing the formula for a point load for calculating the deflection of the beam to find the force applied.

Related to How to solve SDOF for an impact test

1. How do I determine the impact force in an SDOF system?

To determine the impact force in an SDOF system, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the system, and a is the acceleration. You can also use the equation F=kx, where k is the stiffness of the system and x is the displacement.

2. What is the difference between impact testing and regular testing in SDOF systems?

Impact testing involves applying a sudden force to the system, while regular testing involves applying a constant force. This results in different responses from the system, as impact testing can cause higher stresses and strains.

3. How do I calculate the natural frequency of an SDOF system for an impact test?

The natural frequency of an SDOF system for an impact test can be calculated using the equation f=1/2π√(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system.

4. What factors can affect the results of an SDOF impact test?

Some factors that can affect the results of an SDOF impact test include the material properties of the system, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the damping of the system.

5. How do I choose the appropriate damping ratio for an SDOF impact test?

The choice of damping ratio for an SDOF impact test depends on the type of material being tested and the desired outcome. A higher damping ratio can reduce the amplitude of vibrations, while a lower damping ratio can result in a higher peak impact force.