How to Solve Improper Fractions

In summary: But you can't just ignore the log. You have to get a common denominator, expand the numerator, and integrate each term in the numerator separately. You should be able to get the answer that way.In summary, the integral of x^2/(x^2-1) can be rewritten as 1 + 1/(x^2-1) and then solved using long division and partial fractions. The final answer will involve natural log.
yoleven

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{x^{2}}{x^{2}-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I divide bottom into the top because the degree is the same and get...
[tex]\int 1-\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}[/tex]

My question is, from here, do I have to recognize the tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
or is it also correct to put
x-ln [tex]\left| x^{2} + 1\right|[/tex] + c ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you use the logarithm when it isn't correct?

Surely you know that you can't just "ignore" functions like that. The integral of 1/f(x), in general, has nothing to do with the integral of 1/x. Yes, you really have to be able to "recognize" the basic integrals.

Never mind

Last edited:
I never claimed to be overly bright. I asked because I was confused.
Thanks for responding.

yoleven said:
I never claimed to be overly bright. I asked because I was confused.
Thanks for responding.
Join the club! Most of us here are not overly bright and often confused.:-p

HallsofIvy said:
Join the club! Most of us here are not overly bright and often confused.:-p

You only have to check the comment in my edit to realize that is true, my excuse is that I'd not long woken up and the government, ahem *cough*. :smile:

can u help me with the integral of (2x^3)/(x-1)

uzairi22 said:

Whenever you have a troublesome integral, it always helps to start with trying u-substitution or integration by parts. Which technique do you think you should use here? Sometimes you just have to pick a method and try it out. If it fails, see if you can modify it so that it works. A further hint can be provided if you try these methods out and are still stuck.

uzairi22 said:
First, please do not "hijack" someone else's thread for a completely new question. Start your own thread using the "new post" button.

Now, first divide [itex]2x^3+ 0x^2+ 0x+ 0[/itex] by x-1 to get a quadratic polynomial plus something of the form A/(x-1). Integrate that.

uzairi22 said:

HallsofIvy said:
First, please do not "hijack" someone else's thread for a completely new question. Start your own thread using the "new post" button.

Now, first divide [itex]2x^3+ 0x^2+ 0x+ 0[/itex] by x-1 to get a quadratic polynomial plus something of the form A/(x-1). Integrate that.

I at first disregarded dividing by [itex]x-1[/tex], but it works out quickly (say with synthetic division or long division). If you have an idea, work it out! Letting [itex]u=x-1[/tex] works out fine, but just requires more algebra. Both methods give the same answer.

Thank you for the forum advice HallsofIvy.

yoleven said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{x^{2}}{x^{2}-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I divide bottom into the top because the degree is the same and get...
[tex]\int 1-\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}[/tex]

My question is, from here, do I have to recognize the tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
or is it also correct to put
x-ln [tex]\left| x^{2} + 1\right|[/tex] + c ?

Back to the original post. You have a few signs wrong (add everything back together and you don't get what you started with). After using long division to divide [itex]x^2-1[/tex] into [itex]x^2[/tex] (be sure that you can do this) you get:
[tex]\int \frac{x^{2}}{x^{2}-1} \,dx = \int \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x^2-1} \right) \,dx = \int 1 \,dx + \int \frac{1}{(x-1)(x+1)} \,dx = x + C + \int \frac{1}{(x-1)(x+1)} \,dx[/tex]
Now you expand the fraction on the far right using partial fractions. Then you will get integrals that can be evaluated using the natural log.

Related to How to Solve Improper Fractions

What is an improper fraction?

An improper fraction is a fraction where the numerator is larger than the denominator. It can also be expressed as a mixed number.

What is the difference between an improper fraction and a proper fraction?

The main difference between an improper fraction and a proper fraction is the size of the numerator compared to the denominator. In a proper fraction, the numerator is smaller than the denominator, while in an improper fraction, the numerator is larger.

How do you find the integral of an improper fraction?

To find the integral of an improper fraction, you must first convert it into a mixed number if it is not already in that form. Then, you can use long division to divide the numerator by the denominator, which will give you a quotient and a remainder. The integral is the quotient, and the remainder becomes the numerator in the fraction.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral for improper fractions?

A definite integral refers to finding the area under a curve within a specific interval, while an indefinite integral refers to finding the general antiderivative of a function. For improper fractions, both types of integrals can be used, but the methods of finding them may differ.

Are there any special cases when integrating improper fractions?

Yes, there are special cases when integrating improper fractions. For example, if the denominator is a binomial expression, you may have to use partial fractions or substitution to find the integral. Additionally, if the improper fraction has a quadratic expression in the numerator or denominator, you may need to use integration by parts.