How to solve complex potential for a circular cylinder with sources and sinks?

In summary, the problem involves finding the complex potential for a system consisting of a source and sink of strength m located at different positions in relation to a circular cylinder. By using the Blasius integral theorem, the force acting on the cylinder can be calculated. The challenge is to find a result that makes the stream line zero, or the imaginary part of the complex potential.
benjamin_jairo

Homework Statement

the probem is from the book:
Fundamental mechanics of fluids by I.G. Currie
is from the chapter 4 ( 2 dimentianal potential flows )
is the problem 4.4:

. Consider a source of strength m located at z = −b , a source of strength m
located at z=- a^2 / b , a sink of strength m located at z =a^2 /L, and a sink of
strength m located at z = L. Write down the complex potential for this system,
and add a constant − m/(2π) logb. Let b → ∞ , and show that the result
represents the complex potential for a circular cylinder of radius a with a sink
of strength m located a distance I to the right of the axis of the cylinder. This
may be done by showing that the circle of radius a is a streamline.
Use the Blasius integral theorem for a contour of integration which includes the
cylinder but excludes the sink, and hence show that the force acting on the
cylinder is

X=(ρm^2 a^2 )/( 2πL)(L^2-a^2)

So i have already solved the problems 4.1 through 4.3 and i tried the same trick of aproximating ln(1/1-x) and ln(1+x), that i applyied in the first problems but i can't get to a result that makes the stream line zero
( the imaginary part of the complex potential ), and i think that's why i always get that the residues of the complex integral force sum up to zero . i someone has some advice about this problem i would appreciate it a lot .

thanks

benjamin

Physics news on Phys.org
benjamin_jairo said:

Homework Statement

the probem is from the book:
Fundamental mechanics of fluids by I.G. Currie
is from the chapter 4 ( 2 dimentianal potential flows )
is the problem 4.4:

. Consider a source of strength m located at z = −b , a source of strength m
located at z=- a^2 / b , a sink of strength m located at z =a^2 /L, and a sink of
strength m located at z = L. Write down the complex potential for this system,
and add a constant − m/(2π) logb. Let b → ∞ , and show that the result
represents the complex potential for a circular cylinder of radius a with a sink
of strength m located a distance I to the right of the axis of the cylinder. This
may be done by showing that the circle of radius a is a streamline.
Use the Blasius integral theorem for a contour of integration which includes the
cylinder but excludes the sink, and hence show that the force acting on the
cylinder is

X=(ρm^2 a^2 )/( 2πL)(L^2-a^2)So i have already solved the problems 4.1 through 4.3 and i tried the same trick of aproximating ln(1/1-x) and ln(1+x), that i applyied in the first problems but i can't get to a result that makes the stream line zero
( the imaginary part of the complex potential ), and i think that's why i always get that the residues of the complex integral force sum up to zero . i someone has some advice about this problem i would appreciate it a lot .

thanks

benjamin
Hello Benjamin,

Could you please share how you arrived at the result .

I tried this by adding the source potentials and subtracting the sink potential and then differented it to get the complex velocity.But I could not arrive at the answer it represents the complex potential for a circle of radius a.

Pls Help.

Thanks!
Abi

Related to How to solve complex potential for a circular cylinder with sources and sinks?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics and engineering that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion. It involves the study of how fluids move, the forces that act on them, and the effects of these forces on the surrounding environment.

2. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles are used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different situations.

3. How is fluid mechanics applied in real life?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing airplanes, cars, and ships, creating efficient pumps and turbines, and understanding weather patterns. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and aerospace engineering.

4. What is the difference between Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids?

Newtonian fluids follow Newton's law of viscosity, where the shear stress is directly proportional to the rate of shear strain. This means that their viscosity remains constant regardless of the shear rate. Non-Newtonian fluids, on the other hand, have a variable viscosity that changes with the shear rate.

5. What are some common examples of fluid mechanics in everyday life?

Some common examples of fluid mechanics in everyday life include the flow of water through pipes, the movement of air in a room, the flight of birds and airplanes, and the behavior of blood flow in the human body.