How to Solve Complex Laurent Series Integrations for a Multi-Variable Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the first three terms of the Laurent expansion of a given function, using the method of expanding around a specific value of z. The attempt at a solution involves using integrals and substitutions, but leads to unsolvable integrals. A new idea is proposed involving a substitution that could potentially reduce the problem to Beta functions, but remains unsolved.
monsi23

Homework Statement

Determine the first three terms of the Laurent expansion in z of
[itex]f(z)=\int_0^1 dx_1..dx_4 \frac{\delta(1-x_1-x_2-x_3-x_4)}{(x_1 x_2 a + x_3 x_4 b)^{2+z}},\quad a,b>0[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried expanding around z = -2.
[itex]f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n (z-(-2))^n[/itex]

For the a_0 term this is easy:

[itex]a_0 = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \int_0^1 \frac{dx_1 .. dx_4 dz}{C(\lbrace x_i \rbrace)^{z+2}(z+2)}, \quad C=(x_1 x_2 a + x_3 x_4 b)[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_0^1 .. \oint_\gamma \frac{du}{C^u u} = 1[/itex]

However for the a_1 term I get this:

[itex]a_1 = -\int_0^1 \delta(1-x_1-x_2-x_3-x_4) \ln(x_1 x_2 a + x_3 x_4 b) dx_1 .. dx_4[/itex]

and for a_2 the same with -ln(.) -> (1/2) ln^2(.). These are horrible integrals! Am I doing something wrong or is there any trick or substitution I am missing?
I'm thankful for any suggestion!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I wish to propose an approach which may have some holes but it's a start:

How about we drop it down to two for now and consider
[tex]f(z)=\iint\frac{\delta(1-x-y)}{(axy)^{z+2}}dA[/tex]

Now, just for now I'm going to assume [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytic in the neighborhood of the origin so that I can write:

[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n,\quad a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\frac{f(z)}{z^{n+1}}dz[/tex]

and therefore:
[tex]
a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\left\{\iint \frac{\delta(1-x-y)}{(axy)^2 (axy)^z}dA\right\}\frac{1}{z^{n+1}}dz
[/tex]

now let
[tex]g(x,y)=\frac{\delta(1-x-y)}{(axy)^2}[/tex]

[tex]
a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\left\{\iint g(x,y)\frac{1}{(axy)^z}dA\right\}\frac{1}{z^{n+1}}dz
[/tex]

Now, just for now too, let's assume I can switch the order of integration (we can work on that more later if necessary):

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
a_n&=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\iint g(x,y)\oint\frac{dz}{(axy)^z z^{n+1}}dzdA \\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \iint g(x,y)\oint \frac{e^{-kz}}{z^{n+1}}dzdA,\quad k=\log(axy)
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Now we can use Cauchy's Integral formula to evaluate the inner integral:

[tex]\oint \frac{e^{-kz}}{z^{n+1}}dz=\left(\frac{2\pi i}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n}e^{-kz}\right)_{z=0}[/tex]

then proceed to go on to evaluate the outer real integral. However I think I may have a problem with the function [itex]g(x,y)[/itex] as I've defined it above. Not sure that's even a differentiable function or even a continuous one. That would I think prevent switching the order of integration. I would drop delta for now and just work with nice differentiable functions to see if this approach works then try to fit delta into the analysis if possible.

Last edited:
This is more or less what I tried but it leads to unsolvable integrals..

A new idea is the substitution
[itex]x_i \rightarrow \frac{a_i}{1+a_4}[/itex]
which leads to
[itex]\int_0^\infty da_4 \int_0^1 da_1..da_3 (1+a_4)^{2z} \frac{\delta(1-a_1-a_2-a_3)}{(a a_1 a_2 + b a_3 a_4)^{z+2}}[/itex]

doing a similar substitution 2 more times I get

[itex]\int_0^\infty dc_4..dc_2 \frac{(1+c_4+c_3 + c_2)^{2z}}{(a c_2 + b c_3 c_4)^{z+2}}[/itex]

Does anyone see what could be done with that? Expanding z around 0 does again give unsolvable integrals.. I thought maybe of a reduction to Beta functions via the substituion

[itex]c_i \rightarrow \frac{x}{1-x} const [/itex]

but I am stuck again :/

Related to How to Solve Complex Laurent Series Integrations for a Multi-Variable Function?

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex-valued function as an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of the independent variable.

2. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes non-negative powers of the independent variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. Additionally, a Taylor series represents a function as an infinite polynomial, while a Laurent series may include terms with coefficients that are not polynomials.

3. Why is the Laurent series of an integral useful?

The Laurent series of an integral can be used to approximate the value of the integral, as well as to analyze the behavior of the integral function near singularities or along certain paths in the complex plane.

4. How is the Laurent series of an integral calculated?

The Laurent series of an integral can be calculated using various techniques, such as the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, or the method of partial fractions.

5. What is the significance of the residues in the Laurent series of an integral?

The residues of a function are the coefficients of the terms in the Laurent series with negative powers of the independent variable. They can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function near singularities and can also be used to calculate the value of the integral using the residue theorem.