How to solve Chips in milling machine?

• Thread starter wise318
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of chips being produced while milling a glass material called BK7 using an Ichikawa Milling machine. The person asking the question is experiencing chips on the edges of the material after doing a cutting process called "ralf cutting" with a speed of 60. The responder suggests clarifying the terminology used and recommends trying a lighter cut at a higher speed with a slower feed rate.
wise318
1)Anyone can figure out the chips problem due to milling a glass material BK7.?
2) I am using Ichikawa Milling machine where the table rotate and the spindle rotate to mill the material. After do ralf cutting which I set the speed to 60. It produces chips on the edges of the piece.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Wise. You might need to clarify your question. I've had limited experience with machine tools, and your terminology is meaningless to me.
I've never heard of 'ralf-cutting', and your number '60' could mean anything from rpm's to depth of cut in thousandths. Please be more specific.

edit: As to the '60', I know that you said that the speed was set to '60', but that could still indicate a progressive depth vs. time as opposed to just rpm's.

First thing I would try is to take a lighter cut at a higher speed with a slower feed rate.

Related to How to solve Chips in milling machine?

1. What are chips in a milling machine?

Chips in a milling machine are small pieces of material that are removed from the workpiece during the milling process. These chips can be made of various materials, such as metal, wood, or plastic.

2. Why is it important to solve chips in a milling machine?

It is important to solve chips in a milling machine because they can cause damage to the machine and affect the quality of the finished product. Excessive chips can also lead to clogging and decreased efficiency of the milling process.

3. What are the common causes of chips in a milling machine?

Some common causes of chips in a milling machine include improper tool selection, incorrect cutting parameters, and worn out or dull cutting tools. Other factors such as incorrect machine settings, workpiece material properties, and coolant or lubricant usage can also contribute to chip formation.

4. How can I prevent chips in a milling machine?

To prevent chips in a milling machine, it is important to use the correct cutting tools and parameters for the specific material being milled. Regularly inspecting and replacing worn out or dull cutting tools can also help prevent chip formation. Additionally, properly setting up and maintaining the machine, as well as using appropriate coolant or lubricant, can help prevent chips.

5. How can I solve chips in a milling machine?

To solve chips in a milling machine, the root cause of the problem must be identified and addressed. This may involve adjusting cutting parameters, using a different type of cutting tool, or implementing proper machine maintenance and coolant/lubricant usage. Working with an experienced operator or consulting the machine's manual can also help in effectively solving chip issues.