How to Solve a Geometric Sequence with Given Differences?

In summary, the difference between the first term and second term in a geometric sequence is 6. The difference between the second term and the third term is 3. The difference between the third term and the fourth term is 3/2. Find the nth term in the sequence. Thanks in advance.
rsyed5
I have no idea how to solve this equation, its in my homework... i know the formula to find the nth term(tn=ar^n-1) but don't know how to solve this:

The difference between the first term and second term in a geometric sequence is 6.The difference between the second term and the third term is 3. The difference between the third term and the fourth term is 3/2. Find the nth term in the sequence...

Thanks in advance:)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We may state:

\(\displaystyle a-ar=6\)

\(\displaystyle ar-ar^2=3\)

We now have two equations and two unknowns. I suggest solving the first equation for $r$, then substitute into the second to get an equation in $a$ only, which you can then solve. Once you have determined the value of $a$, then use that in your expression for $r$ in terms of $a$ to get the value of $r$. Then use:

\(\displaystyle t_n=ar^{n-1}\)

for the $n$th term. :D

rsyed5 said:
I have no idea how to solve this equation, its in my homework... i know the formula to find the nth term(tn=ar^n-1) but don't know how to solve this:

The difference between the first term and second term in a geometric sequence is 6.The difference between the second term and the third term is 3. The difference between the third term and the fourth term is 3/2. Find the nth term in the sequence...

Thanks in advance:)

If the general term is $\displaystyle t_{n}= a\ r^{n-1}$ You have two unknown variables a and r and three equations...

$\displaystyle a\ (1-r)=6$

$\displaystyle a\ r\ (1-r)=3$

$\displaystyle a\ r^{2}\ (1-r)=\frac{3}{2}$

... so that the problem is overdimensioned. In this case the solution $\displaystyle a=12,\ r= \frac{1}{2}$ satisfies all the three equations, but in general for an overdimensioned problem an 'exact' solution doesn't exist... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How to Solve a Geometric Sequence with Given Differences?

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a type of sequence in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio. The general form of a geometric sequence is a, ar, ar^2, ar^3, ..., where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the common ratio of a geometric sequence?

The common ratio of a geometric sequence can be found by dividing any term in the sequence by the previous term. This will result in the same value for all terms in the sequence, which is the common ratio.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence is a_n = a * r^(n-1), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This formula can be used to find any term in the sequence by plugging in the appropriate values for n, a, and r.

4. How do you determine if a sequence is geometric?

To determine if a sequence is geometric, you can check if there is a constant ratio between each term and the previous term. If there is a constant ratio, then the sequence is geometric. Additionally, you can check if the ratio of any term to the previous term is the same as the ratio of the next term to that term.

5. What real-life applications use geometric sequences?

Geometric sequences are often used in finance and investments, as they can model the growth of investments that have a fixed interest rate. They are also used in population growth models, where the growth rate remains constant over time. Additionally, geometric sequences can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the growth of bacteria or the spread of diseases.