How to sketch a line from complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about sketching the line described by the equation |z - u| = |z| where u is a complex number and z is a general complex number. The solution involves finding the real and imaginary parts of z in terms of each other.
polaris90
sketch the line described by the equation |z - u| = |z|
u = -1 + j√3

I don't understand how to do this. I'm not sure of what z is exactly. Can anybody explain to me what it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
polaris90 said:
sketch the line described by the equation |z - u| = |z|
u = -1 + j√3

I don't understand how to do this. I'm not sure of what z is exactly. Can anybody explain to me what it is?
z is a general complex number. It's often represented if the xy-plane (the Argand plane) by letting x be the real part of z and letting y be the imaginary part of z, i.e. z = x + jy, where x & y are real variables.

So, solve |x + jy -(-1 + j√3)| = |x + jy| for y in terms of x, or x in terms of y.

Related to How to sketch a line from complex numbers

1. How do I represent a complex number on a graph?

On a graph, the imaginary part of a complex number is typically represented on the y-axis, and the real part is represented on the x-axis. The point where these two axes intersect is the origin (0,0). The complex number is then plotted as a point on the graph, with its real and imaginary parts corresponding to the x and y coordinates, respectively.

2. What is the formula for finding the slope of a line from two complex numbers?

The slope of a line passing through two complex numbers, z1 and z2, can be found using the formula:
m = (Im(z2) - Im(z1)) / (Re(z2) - Re(z1))
where Im(z) represents the imaginary part of the complex number and Re(z) represents the real part.

3. How do I sketch a line from complex numbers using polar coordinates?

To sketch a line using polar coordinates, first convert the complex numbers to polar form. Then, plot the points on a polar coordinate system using the magnitude as the distance from the origin and the argument as the angle. Connect the points to form the line.

4. Can I sketch a line from three or more complex numbers?

Yes, it is possible to sketch a line passing through three or more complex numbers. Simply follow the same steps as you would for two complex numbers, plotting each point on the graph and connecting them to form the line.

5. Is there a faster way to sketch a line from complex numbers?

Yes, there is a faster way to sketch a line from complex numbers. You can use the vector addition and scalar multiplication properties of complex numbers to find additional points on the line. Plot these points on the graph and connect them to form the line.