How to Simplify a Radicand by Breaking it into Two Parts?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, to simplify (2sqrt{7})(sqrt{8 - 2sqrt{7})}, we can write 8-2\sqrt{7} as 7-2\sqrt{7}+1 and use the rule sqrt{a}*sqrt{b} = sqrt{ab} to get 2\sqrt{7}\sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{56-14\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{49-14\sqrt{7}+7}=2\sqrt{(7-\sqrt{7})^2}=2(7-\sqrt{7})
mathdad
How does (2sqrt{7})(sqrt{8 - 2sqrt{7}) become
2(7 - sqrt{7})?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 8-2\sqrt{7}=7-2\sqrt{7}+1=(\sqrt{7}-1)^2\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=\sqrt{(\sqrt{7}-1)^2}=\sqrt{7}-1\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{7}\sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{7}(\sqrt{7}-1)=2(7-\sqrt{7})\)

MarkFL said:
Well, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 8-2\sqrt{7}=7-2\sqrt{7}+1=(\sqrt{7}-1)^2\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=\sqrt{(\sqrt{7}-1)^2}=\sqrt{7}-1\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{7}\sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{7}(\sqrt{7}-1)=2(7-\sqrt{7})\)

Nicely done as always. What if I decided to multiply the two given radicals using the rule sqrt{a}*sqrt{b} = sqrt{ab}?

RTCNTC said:
Nicely done as always. What if I decided to multiply the two given radicals using the rule sqrt{a}*sqrt{b} = sqrt{ab}?

Well if you did that, you would have:

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{7}\sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{56-14\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{49-14\sqrt{7}+7}=2\sqrt{(7-\sqrt{7})^2}=2(7-\sqrt{7})\)

MarkFL said:
Well if you did that, you would have:

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{7}\sqrt{8-2\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{56-14\sqrt{7}}=2\sqrt{49-14\sqrt{7}+7}=2\sqrt{(7-\sqrt{7})^2}=2(7-\sqrt{7})\)

I get it except for 49 in the radical. Where did 49 come from?

RTCNTC said:
I get it except for 49 in the radical. Where did 49 come from?

\(\displaystyle 56=49+7\)

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle 56=49+7\)

I understand now. You broke 56 into two parts. This is a fine "trick" or step to simplify the radicand.

Related to How to Simplify a Radicand by Breaking it into Two Parts?

1. What does "Radical x Radical" mean?

Radical x Radical refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying two radical expressions together.

2. How do you simplify "Radical x Radical" expressions?

To simplify "Radical x Radical" expressions, you can use the product rule of radicals, which states that the product of two radicals with the same index can be simplified by multiplying their radicands (the numbers under the radical symbol) together.

3. Can "Radical x Radical" expressions have different indices?

Yes, "Radical x Radical" expressions can have different indices, but they cannot be simplified using the product rule. In this case, you can convert one or both radicals to have the same index before multiplying.

4. What are some real-life applications of "Radical x Radical" expressions?

"Radical x Radical" expressions are commonly used in geometry and physics to solve problems involving area, volume, and distance. They are also used in electrical engineering to calculate the impedance of circuits.

5. Are there any special rules for multiplying "Radical x Radical" expressions?

When multiplying two "Radical x Radical" expressions, you should always check for like terms and combine them, if possible. Also, if the radicals have variables, you should simplify the expression by combining like terms and reducing the radicals, if possible.