Approximation for π and sqrt{2}

In summary, for question 1, replacing π with 3.1 and simplifying gives the statement as TRUE. For question 2, using the approximation of sqrt{2} as 1.4 and knowing that sqrt{4} is less than sqrt{7} because 4 is less than 7, the statement is also TRUE.
mathdad
Say whether each statement is TRUE OR FALSE. Do not use a calculator or tables; use instead the approximations sqrt{2} is about 1.4 and π is about 3.1.

1. 2 < or = (π + 1)/2

2. sqrt{7} - 2 > or = 0

For question 1, I replace π with 3.1, and then simplify, right?

How do I apply the approximation given for sqrt{2} to the sqrt{7} to answer question 2?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Say whether each statement is TRUE OR FALSE. Do not use a calculator or tables; use instead the approximations sqrt{2} is about 1.4 and π is about 3.1.

1. 2 < or = (π + 1)/2

2. sqrt{7} - 2 > or = 0

Yes.
How do I apply the approximation given for sqrt{2} to the sqrt{7} to answer question 2?
7 is larger than 4 so sqrt{7} is larger than 2.

RTCNTC said:

1. 2 < or = (π + 1)/2

2. sqrt{7} - 2 > or = 0

For 2 all you need to remember is that since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4 < 7 \end{align*}$ that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{4} < \sqrt{7} \end{align*}$...

Question 1

2 < or = (π + 1)/2

Let pi be about 3.1

2 < or = (3.1 + 1)/2

2 < or = 4.1/2

2 < or = 2.05

TRUE

Question 2

sqrt{7} - 2 > or = 0

Like you said, sqrt{4} < sqrt{7} because 4 < 7.

Then the answer is TRUE.

Related to Approximation for π and sqrt{2}

1. What is the value of π and how is it calculated?

The value of π is approximately 3.14159 and it is calculated by dividing the circumference of a circle by its diameter. This value is considered an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction.

2. Why is π important in mathematics and science?

π is important in mathematics and science because it is a fundamental constant that relates the circumference and diameter of a circle. It is used in various equations and formulas, such as those for calculating area and volume, and it appears in many natural phenomena, making it a crucial concept in understanding the world around us.

3. How is the approximation for π obtained?

There are various methods for approximating π, including using geometric shapes, infinite series, and numerical algorithms. One common method is the Leibniz formula, which uses the infinite series 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - ... to approximate the value of π. The more terms in the series that are calculated, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of π.

4. What is the connection between π and the square root of 2?

The connection between π and the square root of 2 lies in their irrationality. Both numbers cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and have an infinite number of decimal places. In fact, it has been proven that both π and the square root of 2 are transcendental numbers, meaning they are not the solution to any algebraic equation.

5. How is the approximation for the square root of 2 calculated?

Similar to the approximation for π, there are various methods for approximating the square root of 2, such as using continued fractions, iterative algorithms, and infinite series. One well-known method is the Babylonian method, which uses an iterative algorithm to continually improve the approximation until it reaches a desired level of accuracy.