How to set up a volume of solid of revolution about a line other than the x axis

In summary, the conversation discussed how to set up a volume of a solid of revolution around a line using a line equation. It was noted that replacing "x" with "x/4" would not work and instead, the distance from the line to a point on the graph must be calculated perpendicular to it. This can be done by finding the intersection of the perpendicular line with the graph.
JSM
Hello folks, I was wondering how to set up a volume of the solid of revolution about a line in the form of a line equation. if i wanted to find the volume about a line of x/4 would I simply find it as v=pi*integral (f(x/4)^2)dx or is there a method I'm missing all togeather?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that won't do it. In particular, you should be able to see that you do not replace "x" with "x/4" which is a y value. You need to recalculate "r". If, for example, you were to rotate y= f(x) around the x axis, you would analyse that by noting that each point on y= f(x) rotates around the x-axis in a circle with radius f(x). If you were rotating around some horizontal line, say y= a, with a< 0, then the distance from y= a to y= f(x) would be f(x)- a and you would use (f(x)-a)2.

If you have a slant line, like y= x/4, you need to calculate the distance from that line to a point on the graph along a line perpendicular[/itex] to that. In particular, for any given x0, the line through y= x/4 at (x0,x0/4) perpendicular to it is y= -(4/x0(x- x0= -4x/x0+ 4. You would need to determine where that intersect the graph y= f(x).

Thanks so much, sorry for the late reply. Wonderful explanation!

Related to How to set up a volume of solid of revolution about a line other than the x axis

1. How do I determine the axis of revolution for a solid of revolution?

The axis of revolution is the line around which the solid is rotated. To determine the axis of revolution for a solid of revolution, you need to identify the line that is perpendicular to the cross-section of the solid and passes through its center of mass.

2. What is the difference between rotating a solid about the x-axis and rotating it about a different line?

When rotating a solid about the x-axis, the cross-sections of the solid are parallel to the x-axis. However, when rotating about a different line, the cross-sections will be perpendicular to that line. This results in a different shape and volume for the solid.

3. How do I set up the integral for finding the volume of a solid of revolution about a line other than the x-axis?

The integral for finding the volume of a solid of revolution about a line other than the x-axis is similar to the one for rotating about the x-axis, but the limits of integration will be different. The limits will be determined by the points of intersection between the axis of revolution and the function being rotated.

4. Can a solid of revolution be created by rotating a function about a line other than the x-axis?

Yes, a solid of revolution can be created by rotating a function about any line. The resulting solid will have a different shape and volume depending on the axis of revolution chosen.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when setting up a solid of revolution about a line other than the x-axis?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. If the axis of revolution passes through the origin, the integral for finding the volume will be set up slightly differently. Additionally, if the function being rotated is not continuous or has breaks in its domain, the limits of integration will need to be adjusted accordingly.