How to Secure PCBs in a Stratospheric Balloon's Electronics Box?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a box for 6 PCBs for a stratospheric balloon. The individual is looking for a solution for mounting the PCBs to the box walls in a strong and stable manner. The other person suggests using diecast boxes with PCB guides or connecting the boards together with standoffs and using a shock-absorbing mount inside the box.
kmail
Hello

I'm designing a box for 6 PCBs. It will fly on stratospheric balloon. Do you know a solution of mounting PCBs to box walls, which will provide strong and stable connection? I was thinking about slots in internal walls, but that can be not enough.

I found interesting solution:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7586/dsc9131.th.jpg

Do you know something more about that type of mounting? Where can I get these parts, which hold PCBs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks like it was custom machined.
You can get regular diecast boxes with pcb guides from the normal electroncs supplies.

But - if you are concerned about weight and ruggedness more than easy servicing I would probably connect all the boards together in a stack with screw standoffs between them and then put them in a box on some sort of foam/rubber/shock-absorbing mount

Related to How to Secure PCBs in a Stratospheric Balloon's Electronics Box?

1. What is a PCB?

A PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is a flat board made of non-conductive materials, such as fiberglass or plastic, that holds electronic components in place and provides electrical connections between them.

2. Why is a box necessary for PCBs?

A box for electronics - PCB is necessary to protect the delicate components from external factors such as dust, moisture, and physical damage. It also helps to keep the circuits organized and prevents short circuits.

3. How do I choose the right size box for my PCB?

The size of the box for a PCB depends on the size of the PCB itself and the number of components it holds. It is recommended to choose a box that is slightly larger than the PCB to allow room for any additional components or future upgrades.

4. Can I customize the box for my PCB?

Yes, you can customize the box for your PCB to fit your specific needs. Many manufacturers offer customization options such as adding holes for wires, vents for airflow, and different color options.

5. What materials are commonly used for boxes for PCBs?

The most commonly used materials for boxes for PCBs are plastic, aluminum, and steel. Plastic is lightweight and cost-effective, while aluminum and steel provide better protection for the components. The choice of material depends on the specific needs and requirements of the PCB.