How to regain my touch in Physics? Also help me choose between two schools.

In summary, the speaker took 4 A-Levels and received 4A*, but due to their father's passing, they had to take a gap year to work and save money for college. They were accepted into both Imperial College London and University College London, with a full scholarship for UCL. The speaker is now worried about their physics and mathematical skills after not using them for a year, and is seeking advice on how to refresh their knowledge. They are also considering appealing for a scholarship at Imperial College London, but are unsure if they should still attend if the appeal is unsuccessful. The speaker is seeking recommendations for book and resources to help them regain their skills.
Troubled
So I took 4 A-Levels last year (Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology), and I got 4A*. I am from a low-income family and my family have to struggle to pay my through college. And the worst thing happened to me during my AS examinations; my father passed away. He was the breadwinner of the family and I knew I wasn't able to afford college so I didn't bother to apply.

I decided to take a gap year. For the whole time I took up multiple jobs to keep up with household expenses and to earn some savings for college. I told myself I have to go to college no matter how hard.

Finally, after months of working and some help from close relatives and friends, I accumulated enough money to pay for one year of college. So I applied via UCAS for 2012 entry. To my joy I got into all my choices. I am still trying to decide between Imperial College London (BSc Physics with Theoretical Physics) and University College London (BSc Theoretical Physics). I have also applied to various sponsoring bodies for scholarships and landed a full scholarship to pursue my course at UCL.

School is going to start this fall and time is running out. Now I am having concerns about my Physics knowledge. I have not used Physics for almost a whole year and I have lost touch with my Physics skills. I certainly do not wish to blow my chances of getting a first. And afaik UCL and Imperial are insanely competitive schools and I don't want to lose the rat race.

I have another concern that is my mathematical skills. Typically Physics students at UCL and Imperial College take Further Maths during A-levels. I didn't since my school doesn't teach it. I am afraid without a background in Further Mathematics I will be disadvantaged in my university years.

How can I regain my touch in these few months? How should I start? My memory on many topics are really hazy, except for basic Newtonian mechanics. Any suggestions? Book recommendations are welcome too since I live near a public library.

Also, now I'm appealing to the scholarship board to consider sponsoring me to Imperial College London. If my appeal is unsuccessful should I waste the scholarship and still go to Imperial? In terms of reputation Imperial should be better but UCL isn't that bad either.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, congratulations on the scholarship and your acceptances.

Well, you can start by doing some sort of 'refresher,' just to see if you really have forgotten a lot, or if you just need to see it again quickly. For that, I would recommend going to khanacademy [dot] org. A lot of my classes that I took, I would look at the videos on here first, and ended up doing way better in the class having seen it before.

If there isn't much of a difference in the colleges, I would personally use that scholarship at UCL. But, if the other one is your dream school, and there isn't much of a difference, and the money won't cause problems later, it might be good to follow your dream.

Related to How to regain my touch in Physics? Also help me choose between two schools.

1. How long will it take for me to regain my touch in Physics?

The time it takes to regain your touch in Physics may vary depending on your previous experience and how much effort you put into studying and practicing. It is important to stay consistent and dedicated in your studies to see improvement over time.

2. What can I do to regain my understanding of Physics?

To regain your understanding of Physics, it is important to review fundamental concepts and principles, practice problem-solving, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. You can also try engaging in hands-on experiments or joining study groups to enhance your understanding.

3. Should I choose a school with a strong Physics program or one with a more well-rounded curriculum?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. If you are planning to pursue a career in a scientific field, a school with a strong Physics program may be more beneficial. However, if you are interested in a more diverse education, a school with a well-rounded curriculum may be a better fit.

4. How can I compare the Physics programs at different schools?

You can compare Physics programs at different schools by looking at the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and resources available. You can also talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences in the program.

5. Is it possible to regain my touch in Physics after a long break from studying?

Yes, it is possible to regain your touch in Physics after a long break from studying. It may take some time and effort, but with dedication and a strong study plan, you can refresh your knowledge and skills in Physics.