How to Redesign a Crankshaft for Dual Connecting Rods?

• Thread starter ydeardorff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crankshaft
In summary, the conversation discusses redesigning a crankshaft by machining a new one out of 4340 billet. The design aims to support two connecting rods per journal, reducing the counterweights to 9mm in thickness. The engine is a 9k redline design and the speaker is seeking guidance on mapping out the current 6 cylinder crankshaft and designing the counterweights. There is also a mention of potentially using heavy metal or adding counterweights to accommodate the changes.
ydeardorff
I am redesigning a crankshaft to support two connecting rods per journal from it's stock one per journal.
I will be machining a new crankshaft out of 4340 billet. This design will reduce the counterweights to 9mm in thickness.
This engine is a 9k redline design so I need to get this right.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to map out the current 6 cylinder crankshaft. But a direction on the counterweight design formulas , and design process would be of great help.
Yaughn

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of straight six are you trying to make into a v12?

If your counterweight s will be 9mm narrower, and you will be putting two rods and pistons on each trow instead of one, the counterweights must be made heavier somehow. Heavy metal may be needed, or adding counterweights where there were none before.

Related to How to Redesign a Crankshaft for Dual Connecting Rods?

What is a crankshaft and why is redesign necessary?

A crankshaft is a mechanical component in an engine that converts reciprocating motion into rotational motion. It is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. Redesign may be necessary to improve performance, durability, or efficiency.

What are the common issues with crankshafts that require redesign?

Common issues with crankshafts include fatigue, stress concentration, wear and tear, and insufficient strength. These issues can lead to engine failure and reduced performance.

What factors should be considered when redesigning a crankshaft?

When redesigning a crankshaft, factors such as material selection, geometric design, and manufacturing processes should be considered. The goal is to improve the strength, durability, and performance of the crankshaft.

What are some possible solutions for crankshaft redesign?

Possible solutions for crankshaft redesign include using stronger materials, optimizing the shape and size of the crankshaft, and incorporating advanced manufacturing techniques such as forging or casting. Computer simulations and testing can also aid in the redesign process.

What are the benefits of a well-designed crankshaft?

A well-designed crankshaft can improve overall engine performance, reduce maintenance and repair costs, and increase the lifespan of the engine. It can also result in better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.