How to record a signal outside of a physics lab?

In summary, the speaker needs to be plugged into the computer through the serial port, and a microphone needs to be plugged in to the sound card.
gogetagritz
I am trying to set up an experiement to measure period doubling in a leaky tap. My plan was to just have a speaker input to a computer (through the com port I assume) to register drips into some container.

My web searchs for how to wire the two wires from a speaker to any port on the copmuter have so far been fruitless. I was wondering if anyone here has ever set up an experiment hooked to their computer without labview and some sort of external card made specifically for the purpose. I am hoping to do this on the cheap. Maybe I should just get a microphone and plug it into the sound jack, but I am not sure how to take that signal to a nice data file I can look at with MATLAB or something.

Any links/advice would be gratly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Monitoring the parallel port would be much simpler, you could feed in a pulse for each event and have the software poll the pin you're using to find said events.

A microphone or leads could be fed to a comparator and then maybe even a 555 monostable to generate a pulse long enough to capture with you're polling interval whose period should be at least half that of the pulse.

Might be easier to find a way to process the .wav file from a mic in the sound card into a pulsed output file where you can set the criteria to determine when an event has occured.

http://www.soundslogical.com/support/mpacks/documentation/english/documentparts/mpack1over.html

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, after spending some more time looking up pin diagrams, I realized the serial port is a digital port, requiring an analog to digital converter chip, and thus a bread board and vcc. I could scrounge those from some physics lab at school I'm sure, but wanted to keep this as simple as possible, so you are right. A microphone is the way to go. thnx for the link.

Related to How to record a signal outside of a physics lab?

1. How do I choose the right equipment for recording a signal outside of a physics lab?

The first step in choosing the right equipment is to determine the type of signal you want to record. This could be electrical, acoustic, or optical. Next, consider the environment in which you will be recording and the potential challenges, such as noise or interference. Finally, research and compare different equipment options to find one that meets your specific needs.

2. What are the best locations for recording a signal outside of a physics lab?

The best locations for recording a signal outside of a physics lab will depend on the type of signal you are recording. For example, if you are recording an acoustic signal, a quiet outdoor area with minimal background noise would be ideal. If you are recording an electrical signal, you may need to consider factors such as power sources and potential interference from other electronic devices.

3. Do I need any special training or knowledge to record a signal outside of a physics lab?

While some basic knowledge of physics and signal recording techniques can be helpful, you do not necessarily need special training to record a signal outside of a physics lab. However, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the equipment you will be using, as well as any potential safety precautions that may be necessary.

4. What are some common challenges when recording a signal outside of a physics lab?

One of the most common challenges is dealing with environmental factors such as noise, weather, or interference. Another challenge is ensuring that the equipment is properly set up and calibrated for accurate signal recording. Additionally, unexpected obstacles such as power outages or equipment malfunctions may also arise.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my signal recording outside of a physics lab?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to carefully choose and properly set up your equipment, as well as calibrate it regularly. It is also helpful to record the signal multiple times and compare the results to ensure consistency. Additionally, keeping detailed records and notes of the recording process can help troubleshoot any potential issues that may arise.