How to Put Gradient Vector into Implicit Form?

In summary, the Vector Tangent Line Problem is a calculus problem that involves finding the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a given point using vectors. It is related to calculus as it uses the derivative of a vector-valued function. The steps to solve the problem are finding the derivative, plugging in the given point, and using the point-slope form. The problem is significant in science and engineering as it allows us to find the equation of a tangent line, and it can also be extended to higher dimensions by using the gradient and finding the equation of a tangent plane.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y) = 5y^(2)-(2x^(2)+xy)

Then an implicit equation for the tangent plane to the graph of f at the point (0,-2) is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I should take the derivative to find the gradient vector. For the derivative, I get <-4x-y,10y-x>.

I plug in (O,-2) and get <2,-20>.

My question is, what should I do to put this into implicit form??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]z_{tp}(x,y) = f(x_0,y_0) + f_x(x_0,y_0)(x-x_0) + f_y(x_0,y_0)(y-y_0)[/tex]

Related to How to Put Gradient Vector into Implicit Form?

What is the Vector Tangent Line Problem?

The Vector Tangent Line Problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a given point using vectors.

How is the Vector Tangent Line Problem related to calculus?

The Vector Tangent Line Problem is a calculus problem that involves using the derivative of a vector-valued function to find the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.

What are the steps to solve the Vector Tangent Line Problem?

The steps to solve the Vector Tangent Line Problem are:

1. Find the derivative of the vector-valued function at the given point.
  2. Plug in the given point to the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line.
  3. Use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

What is the significance of the Vector Tangent Line Problem?

The Vector Tangent Line Problem is significant because it allows us to find the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a given point, which is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

Can the Vector Tangent Line Problem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Vector Tangent Line Problem can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 3D space. In higher dimensions, the tangent line becomes a tangent plane, and the derivative becomes a vector-valued function known as the gradient. The steps to solve the problem are similar to the 2D case.