How to pursue a degree in physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is interested in transferring to computer science and pursuing a career related to physics. They are unsure of how to start and are seeking advice on whether to apply to a college, gain work experience, or pursue degrees before enlisting. The student is from Bosnia and Herzegovina and is also curious about the possibility of getting a scholarship in other countries for this field.
FelixLudi
Hi,
To give some background, I am about to hopefully start 2nd year of high school in telecommunications and I was considering transfering to computer science. But I would also like to start a career or some other job based around physics. How would I go about doing that? Should I start with an application to a college, providing some work or research, or should I attempt going for degrees before enlisting? I am unexperienced in education paths that I should be taking.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you in?

Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Is it possible to get a scholarship in other states, of this matter?

Why are you called Dishsoap?

Related to How to pursue a degree in physics?

1. What are the basic qualifications for pursuing a degree in physics?

The basic qualifications for pursuing a degree in physics typically include a high school diploma or equivalent, strong mathematical skills, and a solid foundation in science courses such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. What are the different types of degrees available in physics?

There are various types of degrees available in physics, including a Bachelor of Science (BSc), Master of Science (MSc), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Some universities also offer specialized degrees in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering physics.

3. What are some common career options for physics graduates?

Some common career options for physics graduates include research scientists, professors, engineers, and data analysts. Physics graduates can also pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, healthcare, and energy.

4. Is it necessary to have previous experience in physics before pursuing a degree in it?

No, it is not necessary to have previous experience in physics before pursuing a degree. However, having a strong foundation in mathematics and science can be beneficial in understanding the concepts and theories in physics.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a degree in physics?

The time it takes to complete a degree in physics varies depending on the level of degree and the individual's chosen path. A Bachelor's degree typically takes four years to complete, a Master's degree can take one to two years, and a PhD can take four to six years.