How to Prove the Sign-Preserving Property for a Continuous Function?

• Thread starter goodheavens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, to prove the sign-preserving property of a continuous function, we can use the definition of continuity and the fact that if f(c) is positive and f(x) is close to f(c), then f(x) must also be positive. This involves finding a suitable delta value for a given epsilon and using the open interval (c-delta, c+delta) to prove that f(x) is greater than 0.
goodheavens
how do you prove the sign-preserving property?

it says here that.

If f is continuous at a, and f(a) < 0, then there is an open interval I containing a such that f(x) < 0 for every x in I.

For a proof, simply take the open interval (2f(a),0) for the challenge interval "J" in the definition of continuity.

i don't get it :(

:sorry my previous post was a mistake :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us your work.

The idea of the proof is to use the fact that if f is continuous at c and f(c)>0 then there exist a neighbourhood of c such that f(x) >0 .

That neighbourhood is what you have to find.

Try using the definition of continuity.

i saw a similar problem to this one and I am not sure if this works

using the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] - [tex]\delta[/tex] definition we have

l x-c l < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] l f(x) - f(c) l < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then they used [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = f(c)/2

lf(x)-f(c)l < f(c)/2

-f(c)/2<f(x)-f(c)< f(c)/2

f(c)/2 < f(x) < 3f(c)/2

f(x) > f(c) > 0 .

but i don't know how [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = f(c)/2

Last edited:
I have restored your second post because it is exactly what you want.

The whole idea of "continuity" is that "if x is close to a, then f(x) is close to f(a)." In particular, if f(c) is positive, and f(x) is close to f(c), then f(x) must be positive also.

Why f(c)/2? If f(c)> 0 then f(c)/2> 0 also so every number between f(c) and f(c)/2 is positive. Find [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] so that if [itex]|x- c|< \delta[/itex] (that is, so that [itex]c- \delta< x< c+ \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- f(c)|< f(c)/2[/itex]. That is the same as saying that [itex]-f(c)/2< f(x)- f(c)< f(c)/2[/itex] and, adding f(c) to each part, [itex]f(c)/2< f(x)< 3f(c)/2[/itex]. Since f(c)/2 is positive, so is f(x). In other words, f(x) is positive for all x in the interval [itex]c- \delta[/itex] to [itex]c+ \delta[/itex].

thank you sir

i forgot to mention that the interval was (a,b)

Your interval involves c and delta. (a, b) is simply the delta neighbourhood of c.

You cannot determine the interval in advance. Once you have found a "[itex]\delta[/itex]" for whatever [itex]\epsilon[/itex] you choose (as long as [itex]f(c)- \epsilon> 0[/itex]), [itex]a= c- \delta[/itex] and [itex]b= c+ \delta[/itex]

the interval (a,b) was actually one of the given data.
thank you

goodheavens said:
the interval (a,b) was actually one of the given data.
thank you
Well you changed the question! :-p
In the new question b does not exist.

The new question is a minor variation of the previous question. The only different is that c is now a and f(c) <0. This is okay since c was assumped to be abitrary.

The same prove you presented will work but your [itex] \epsilon = \frac{|f(a)|}{2} [/itex].

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Well you changed the question! :-p
In the new question b does not exist.

The new question is a minor variation of the previous question. The only different is that c is now a and f(c) <0. This is okay since c was assumped to be abitrary.

The same prove you presented will work but your [itex] \epsilon = \frac{|f(a)|}{2} [/itex].

yeah cause its the same as in this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=460116 that would be double posting :)

so this is the final proof that i made for the previous question.

Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0
l x-c l < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] l f(x) - f(c) l < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Since f(c) > 0. then [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] > 0 . use [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

l x-c l < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] l f(x) - f(c) l < [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

c - [tex]\delta[/tex] < x < c + [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{-f(c)}{2}[/tex] < f(x) - f(c) < [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] < f(x) < [tex]\frac{3f(c)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] f(x) > [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] > 0

Thus, f(c) > 0

if i made a mistake please tell me . thank you

This is correct.

goodheavens said:
yeah cause its the same as in this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=460116 that would be double posting :)

so this is the final proof that i made for the previous question.

Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0

Since f(c) > 0. then [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] > 0 . use [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

l x-c l < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] l f(x) - f(c) l < [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

c - [tex]\delta[/tex] < x < c + [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{-f(c)}{2}[/tex] < f(x) - f(c) < [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] < f(x) < [tex]\frac{3f(c)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] f(x) > [tex]\frac{f(c)}{2}[/tex] > 0

Thus, f(c) > 0

if i made a mistake please tell me . thank you

Weren't you trying to prove that f(x) is greater than 0, using the fact that f(c) is greater than 0? It seems that your final statement should be "Thus, f(x)>0".

Char. Limit said:
Weren't you trying to prove that f(x) is greater than 0, using the fact that f(c) is greater than 0? It seems that your final statement should be "Thus, f(x)>0".

oh yeah. haha thank you :smile::

Related to How to Prove the Sign-Preserving Property for a Continuous Function?

1. What is the sign-preserving property?

The sign-preserving property is a mathematical concept that states that the sign of a number does not change when it is multiplied or divided by another number. This means that if the original number is positive, the result will also be positive, and if the original number is negative, the result will also be negative.

2. How is the sign-preserving property used in science?

The sign-preserving property is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is particularly important in analyzing data and making predictions, as it allows scientists to determine the direction and magnitude of a change or trend.

3. Can the sign-preserving property be violated?

No, the sign-preserving property is a fundamental mathematical concept and cannot be violated. It is a result of the properties of multiplication and division, and any attempt to violate it would result in an incorrect mathematical statement.

4. Are there any exceptions to the sign-preserving property?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the sign-preserving property. For example, when dealing with complex numbers, the sign of the real part may change when multiplied with another complex number. Additionally, when dealing with operations involving infinity, the sign-preserving property may not always hold.

5. How does the sign-preserving property relate to inequalities?

The sign-preserving property is closely related to inequalities. If two numbers have the same sign, the greater number will also have the greater sign. Similarly, if two numbers have different signs, the greater number will have the opposite sign. This is important in solving equations and inequalities involving signed numbers.