Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

How to prove a function which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere

ianchenmu

Feb 3, 2013
The question is:
Using the chain rule to prove that a function $f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere.

(The chain rule is for the use under function composition circumstances, how to apply it here to prove that the function $f$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere?)

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
(The chain rule is for the use under function composition circumstances, how to apply it here to prove that the function $f$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere?)
We can write:

$f:\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R},\quad f(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=\displaystyle\sum_{i_1\geq 0,\ldots,i_n\geq 0}a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}x_1^{i_1}\ldots x_n^{i_n}$

with finitely many nonnull real coefficientes $a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}$. Now, use the following properties:

$(1)\;$ The projections $\pi_i:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R},\quad \pi_i(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_i$ are differentable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(2)\;$ Every constant funcion is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(3)\;$ The product of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(4)\;$ The sum of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

ianchenmu

Feb 3, 2013
We can write:

$f:\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R},\quad f(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=\displaystyle\sum_{i_1\geq 0,\ldots,i_n\geq 0}a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}x_1^{i_1}\ldots x_n^{i_n}$

with finitely many nonnull real coefficientes $a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}$. Now, use the following properties:

$(1)\;$ The projections $\pi_i:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R},\quad \pi_i(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_i$ are differentable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(2)\;$ Every constant funcion is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(3)\;$ The product of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(4)\;$ The sum of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.
But where you used the chain rule? I mean, how to use the chain rule to prove that $f$ is differentiable everywhere?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
But where you used the chain rule? I mean, how to use the chain rule to prove that $f$ is differentiable everywhere?
Perhaps an example will provide you the adequate outline. Consider $\pi_7(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_7$ and $g:\mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}$ given by $g(t)=t^3$. As $\pi_7$ and $g$ are differentiable, $(g\circ \pi_7)[(x_1,\ldots,x_n)]=x_7^3$ is also differentiable, etc, etc,...