How to Protect Laptops from Toddler Damage

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: Tech Support: We're going to have to take it apart to find out. Me: No, really, you don't want to know. In summary, a toddler plugged his laptop into an outlet that was not child-proof, and the power supply fried the motherboard.
Andre
So, I have this cute enterprising little toddler running around here every Thursday, to allow his parents to do their things for a living and he is develloping interests fast. He knows that a laptop is great for looking teletubbies and he also sees a lot of rope sticking out of that magic box.

But then he finds another piece of rope, from a headset, not connected to that magic box, and obviously he thought that all ropes have to be plugged in. And being a helpfull little guy, with his 14 months of age he decided to adjust that omission. So before anybody could react he put the audio plug in a free USB port.

The laptop died quietly, not even a protesting cracking noise nor a smoke puff. Just the end. Black screen, nothing. The techician thought that the hard disk might be okay but the mother board can be thrown away.

Did you know that can kill a laptop so easily? Are there toddler proof brands that have safety fuzes to prevent such an aggravation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toddler proof? I can imagine adults trying to do that!

Really? That's one adventurous toddler, I've never heard of a computer giving the spirit in that way.

You just got "lucky", perhaps he shorted the 5V line to ground. While this could do damage it is not a certainty, and a bit surprising that it took out the motherboard.

Recently I made the periodic trip to rescue moms computer (she is 83). One of the complaints was that she was not getting sound.

I found the speaker plug pushed into a USB port. Fortunately no damage was done. Perhaps desktops do a better job protecting circuitry then laptops or she just missed the 5V line.

Andre, do you have all child-accessible electrical outlets plugged with inserts? Sounds like a necessity, to protect the budding engineer.

Unlucky maybe indeed, although the tech said that he saw it happened before.

This is the enterprising minor:

24mx6r7.jpg

I have to say that knowing his parents, it's not too surprizing.

And yes Turbo, the living has been adapted to in an attempt to get it juvenile proof. The outlets are secured, drawers and doors have security clips, the open kitchen is fenced off, etc. Still you can't look away for a few seconds or he has found the only one thing he could do damage with.

Andre said:
And yes Turbo, the living has been adapted to in an attempt to get it juvenile proof. The outlets are secured, drawers and doors have security clips, the open kitchen is fenced off, etc. Still you can't look away for a few seconds or he has found the only one thing he could do damage with.
Typical! My niece is a whirlwind, and you have to keep an eye on her constantly. Plus, if you make it known that she is NOT to touch something, that is the thing that she must play with above all else.

What a handsome kid, no wonder he gets into trouble though, he has a tiger t shirt.

lol, good story http://bayarearoster.com/js/includes/34/b/happy.gif

wolram said:
What a handsome kid, no wonder he gets into trouble though, he has a tiger t shirt.

Exactly that 's another bouncing anthropomorphic pal, Tigger

Laughed at the title and love the kid, I see another pooh fan. :)

Integral said:
Perhaps desktops do a better job protecting circuitry then laptops ...

No, it just depends on the make and model. Most of the cheaper laptops don't have current-limiting (or over-volting) protection on their USB ports. I've seen similar things happen with cats chewing through mouse cables and shorting out the USB power lines. There's a chance that just the power supply died and not the system board but you would have to take the thing apart and probe it to find out.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you have either a Dell, HP, Gateway, or Acer?

Sorry to hear about the demise of your laptop Andre. The Tigger shirt is really appropriate. :smile:

try an iPad

no USB

(I'm kidding, Apple sucks)

Anyway, the good news is that the personal liaibility insurance of the parents is going to refund the damage.

Glad the laptop WAS covered: When my spouse checked out a video camera from the university library for a teaching project, the staff told him it was insured against everything except sharks, bears, and children under 5.

My work laptop was *marked* by my male cat. HSSSSSSSS, fried. Luckily, my company did not make me pay for it.

Tech Support: What happened?

Me: You don't want to know.

Related to How to Protect Laptops from Toddler Damage

1. How can I physically protect my laptop from toddlers?

One of the best ways to protect your laptop from toddlers is to invest in a sturdy laptop case or sleeve. This will provide an extra layer of protection against accidental drops or spills. Additionally, you can also keep your laptop out of reach of children by storing it in a locked cabinet or on a high shelf.

2. Are there any software programs that can help protect my laptop from toddlers?

Yes, there are various parental control software programs that can help restrict your child's access to your laptop. These programs allow you to set time limits, block certain websites or applications, and monitor your child's online activity.

3. How can I prevent my toddler from pressing buttons on my laptop?

One way to prevent your toddler from pressing buttons on your laptop is to use a keyboard cover. This will help protect your keyboard from crumbs, spills, and little fingers. You can also disable the touchpad or invest in a separate, child-friendly keyboard that is more durable and less sensitive to accidental button presses.

4. What should I do if my toddler spills liquid on my laptop?

If your toddler accidentally spills liquid on your laptop, the first thing you should do is turn off the laptop and unplug it from the power source. Then, gently dry off the surface with a towel and let it air dry for at least 24 hours before turning it on again. If the liquid was sugary or sticky, it is best to have a professional clean it to avoid any damage to the internal components.

5. How can I teach my child to use my laptop safely?

The best way to teach your child to use your laptop safely is to set ground rules and boundaries. Explain to them that the laptop is a fragile and expensive device that needs to be handled with care. Show them how to properly open and close the laptop, and remind them to always ask for permission before using it. Additionally, monitor their usage and remind them of any rules or restrictions you have set in place.

Back