How to proceed for grad school in physics after an awful undergrad performance

In summary, it is important to overcome your fear of exams and to continue working hard in order to achieve your goals.
su10
i have just finished my undergrad in physics with dismal scores. i really wanted to study physics. i found it exciting and still do. but exams are a real hardle for me. i just have a phobia for them. now i am entering my grad school and for the first time after starting physics i am doubting my abilities. should i take my undergrad performance seriously to reassess myself or should i still be positive about pursuing physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgetting for now the past, how are you doing now in your current classes?
Most graduate programs have qualifying exams that you need to pass. So, you need to overcome your phobia of them.

well your school has accepted you for graduate entry. if they don't know, who does?
methinks there is a lot more to potential than what can be measured in a 2 - 3 hour exam. you passed, so that means.. you have passed the requirements to be awarded that degree - a great accomplishment!

i would say that you only live once and it is likely you would spend a long time asking "what-if" should you give up on your dream now.

and i would think there is a lot more to being a successful researcher than getting good grades. just follow your dream and keep working hard!

robphy said:
Forgetting for now the past, how are you doing now in your current classes?
Most graduate programs have qualifying exams that you need to pass. So, you need to overcome your phobia of them.

well, my grad school hasn't started yet. actually the exam system is a bit different here. we have one annual exam on all the courses. before that we just have lecture classes. there are no quizes, tutorials or assignments. so there is no way to assess yourself throughout the year.

beside exams one another obstacle that i found was in reading textbooks. i try to read each and every line of a text, trying to work out all the mathematical details. but after few weeks i see that i haven't gone far. this puts me off and i jump to another book trying to read it in the same manner. this has gone along all through my undergrad years. now i find myself not covering many important topics. what should be the correct approach in reading a text? what should be the approach in finishing a course even? say for example i am doing senior level Quantum Mechanics. should i target one core text (say sakurai) and try to go through it thoroughly within a year or should i stick to my course content? is it really possible to go through all the details of a text like sakurai? what i have found in this level is that there is too much topic to cover and too little time to grasp them all equally. so either you take a very proffessional approach and cover all the topics according to your course contents ignoring those aspects which you didn't have time to understand well or try to understand everything sacrificing your time.

Related to How to proceed for grad school in physics after an awful undergrad performance

1. Can I still get into a good graduate program with a poor undergraduate performance in physics?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to have a subpar performance in their undergraduate studies but still be accepted into a good graduate program in physics. Admissions committees also take into account other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting into a good graduate program with a poor undergraduate performance?

One way to improve your chances is to retake any courses that you did poorly in and demonstrate improvement. You can also gain research experience through internships or working with a professor. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also make a positive impact on your application.

3. Will my undergraduate performance affect my chances of getting funding for graduate school?

It is possible that your undergraduate performance may affect your chances of getting funding, as many funding opportunities consider academic performance as a factor. However, there are also funding opportunities that consider other factors such as research experience and potential. It is important to do well in your graduate studies and demonstrate your potential for success.

4. Should I explain my poor undergraduate performance in my graduate school application?

If there were extenuating circumstances that affected your undergraduate performance, it may be beneficial to explain them in your application. However, be sure to focus on how you have improved and what you have learned from the experience. Avoid making excuses or blaming others for your performance.

5. Are there any specific graduate programs that are more forgiving of poor undergraduate performance?

It is not accurate to say that any specific graduate programs are more forgiving of poor undergraduate performance. Each program has its own admissions criteria and factors that they consider. It is important to research and choose programs that align with your research interests and strengths, rather than ones that may be perceived as more forgiving of poor performance.