How to Normalize the Basic Wave Equation

In summary: And also that the expectation values of x and x2 would be.Don't wory, this is not for a class, I am studying this on my ownPsi^2 leads to a Gaussian integral, which is done by completing the square in the exponent.<x> is zero bly symmetry.<x^2>is found by integrating by parts.After playing with this I foundA = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{ait}making \Psi = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{-am
Marthius
This is a fairly simple question, but the first such question I have done. Inorder to check my work I was hoping somone could show me how to normalize the following.

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-a[(mx^{2}/\hbar)+it][/tex]
where m is the particles mass

And also that the expectation values of x and x2 would be.

Don't wory, this is not for a class, I am studying this on my own

Physics news on Phys.org
Psi^2 leads to a Gaussian integral, which is done by completing the square in the exponent.
<x> is zero bly symmetry.
<x^2>is found by integrating by parts.

After playing with this I found

[tex]A = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{ait}[/tex]

making

[tex]\Psi = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{-amx^{2}/\hbar}[/tex]

Can annyone confirm this for me because I am really uncomfortable with my answer.

that looks alright, but have you lost your time component along the way? when calculating [tex]\left|A\right|^{2}[/tex] the time-dependence drops off, but you need to be sure to attach your value for [tex]A[/tex] to the full wavefunction. i think it should look like this? [tex]\Psi\left(x,t\right)=\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}e^{-amx^{2}/\hbar}e^{-iat}[/tex]

tshafer said:
that looks alright, but have you lost your time component along the way? when calculating [tex]\left|A\right|^{2}[/tex] the time-dependence drops off, but you need to be sure to attach your value for [tex]A[/tex] to the full wavefunction. i think it should look like this? [tex]\Psi\left(x,t\right)=\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}e^{-amx^{2}/\hbar}e^{-iat}[/tex]

the only think was that [tex]e^{iat}[/tex] from the second part of A canceld with [tex]e^{-iat}[/tex] from the wave function, or is that wrong.

You would be correct, but technically you're [tex]A[/tex] is wrong. The [tex]e^{-iat}[/tex] term cancels with its conjugate in the process of calculating [tex]A[/tex] through normalization. [tex]A[/tex] should be just [tex]\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}[/tex]

tshafer said:
You would be correct, but technically you're [tex]A[/tex] is wrong. The [tex]e^{-iat}[/tex] term cancels with its conjugate in the process of calculating [tex]A[/tex] through normalization. [tex]A[/tex] should be just [tex]\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}[/tex]

Looking back my mistake was simply squaring the wave function without taking the modulus first

I was working with this a little more, and came up with a corisponding potential energy function of:

V(x) = [tex]2a^{2}mx^{2}[/tex]

Could anyone run it and verify that I have this right (My text has no answer key)?

Here is the wave function again.
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-a[(mx^{2}/\hbar)+it][/tex]
where m is the particles mass

Related to How to Normalize the Basic Wave Equation

1. What is the basic wave equation?

The basic wave equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the propagation of a wave through a medium. It is typically written as:

∂^2u/∂t^2 = c^2 ∂^2u/∂x^2

where u is the displacement of the wave, t is time, x is distance, and c is the speed of the wave.

2. What does the basic wave equation represent?

The basic wave equation represents the relationship between the wave's displacement, time, distance, and speed. It describes how a disturbance in a medium, such as a sound wave or water wave, travels through the medium.

3. How is the basic wave equation used in science?

The basic wave equation is used in many branches of science, including physics, engineering, and seismology. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in the development of technologies that utilize wave phenomena, such as ultrasound and radar.

4. What are the key variables in the basic wave equation?

The key variables in the basic wave equation are displacement (u), time (t), distance (x), and speed (c). These variables are interconnected and provide information about the characteristics of the wave, such as its amplitude, frequency, and wavelength.

5. Can the basic wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the basic wave equation can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, mechanical waves, and water waves. However, different types of waves may require additional equations or modifications to the basic wave equation to fully describe their behavior.