How to Navigate Diplomacy and Truth in Interviews?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    interviews
In summary, during an interview, it is important to have tact and the ability to deal diplomatically, especially during HR interviews where questions about personal opinions may arise. It is important to never lie outright, but also avoid being negative. In general, interviews are divided into technical and HR rounds, with the latter being more challenging as it requires expressing personal opinions. It is recommended to be diplomatic and avoid negative opinions, as it may reflect poorly on the interviewee.
ank_gl
How do you go about in an interview when asked a question which has both a morally correct & a true answer? For example, let's say if asked of an opinion about a person X whom you don't like at all(it might be that X is a good person, just has been bad to you), & happens to be, let's say, a buddy of the interviewer. What does he want to hear, your experience with X or his own views of X? Should you be truthful or be diplomatic?

Physics news on Phys.org
ank_gl said:
How do you go about in an interview when asked a question which has both a morally correct & a true answer? For example, let's say if asked of an opinion about a person X whom you don't like at all(it might be that X is a good person, just has been bad to you), & happens to be, let's say, a buddy of the interviewer. What does he want to hear, your experience with X or his own views of X? Should you be truthful or be diplomatic?

Did someone actually ask you to give an opinion on a person they know as part of an interview? I find that unlikely and at least highly inappropriate. Do you have a more concrete example?

In general interviews are all about proving that you have tact and some ability to deal diplomatically. Of course you should never lie outright, but you never want to be negative either.

kote said:
Did someone actually ask you to give an opinion on a person they know as part of an interview? I find that unlikely and at least highly inappropriate. Do you have a more concrete example?
No, not any person directly.

In general interviews are all about proving that you have tact and some ability to deal diplomatically. Of course you should never lie outright, but you never want to be negative either.
Yes, right.
Generally, here interviews are done in two stages, technical & HR. Technical is all about proving oneself, which is pretty easy, coz it requires facts, not opinions. I don't like HR interviews, coz it invariably gets to questions like, what do you feel about XYZ? In one HR interview, I was asked how do I feel about the HOD of my department, i told her that he is pretty stupid, & doesn't take decisions like he should. Obviously I had a bad feeling about it later, but anyways I was selected.

Anyways, I wanted to know which is more better to do. Suppose you face this question, if you let the interviewer know what you think, he/she might think that you are blaming others for own's failures or might think that you are just being honest., or if you answer diplomatically, I don't know what then.

I really don't know what I am asking, its sort of confusing myself now:confused:

Related to How to Navigate Diplomacy and Truth in Interviews?

1. What is diplomacy and why is it important in interviews?

Diplomacy is the art of effectively communicating and negotiating with others to achieve a desired outcome. It is important in interviews because it allows individuals to navigate sensitive or difficult topics in a professional manner, build rapport with the interviewer, and present themselves in a positive light.

2. How can one maintain diplomacy while still being truthful in an interview?

The key to maintaining diplomacy while being truthful in an interview is to choose your words carefully and focus on being tactful and respectful. Instead of bluntly stating your opinion, try to frame it in a more diplomatic way that still accurately conveys your message.

3. Can being too diplomatic in an interview be seen as insincere?

It is possible for an interviewer to perceive an individual as insincere if they come across as being overly diplomatic. It is important to strike a balance between being diplomatic and being genuine in your responses. Use specific examples and be honest about your experiences and qualifications.

4. How can one handle a situation where they are asked a question that requires them to compromise their honesty?

In this situation, it is important to remain calm and composed. You can politely decline to answer the question or redirect the conversation to focus on your skills and qualifications. If you do choose to answer the question, try to be as honest as possible while still maintaining a professional and diplomatic tone.

5. How can an individual prepare to showcase their diplomacy skills in an interview?

To prepare for showcasing diplomacy skills in an interview, it is important to research the company and interviewer beforehand to understand their values and communication style. Practice answering common interview questions in a diplomatic manner and have examples ready to demonstrate your ability to handle difficult situations with diplomacy.