How to modulate the output of automotive injectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of automotive injectors for a project and the different methods of controlling their operation. The options include PWM 12V, voltage modulation, current modulation, or something else. The speaker confirms that PWM 12V is the correct method and explains that the flow rate is determined by injector size and fuel pressure. They also mention that the systems they are familiar with use PWM. Finally, they share an interesting article on the topic and express their gratitude for the information.
FarmerTony
Using automotive injectors for a project. I would like to know if the signal to cause injector operation is -

1. PWM 12V, i.e. one off operation
2. Voltage modulation, i.e. the voltage applied controls the output rate.
3. Current modulation
4. Something else. If so what?

Tried an automotive forum, but all I got was "what do you think" troll responses. Looking for real information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your #1 is correct. Automotive fuel injectors open once per combustion cycle, and they need to open fast and close fast. The flow rate is determined by injector size and fuel pressure.

The systems I'm aware of are PWM.

Found this article interesting, although it doesn't go very far into the electrical side of injector control.

Hmm, interesting. Now to work on the electronics part, thanks :D

Related to How to modulate the output of automotive injectors?

1. How does modulating the output of automotive injectors affect fuel efficiency?

Modulating the output of automotive injectors can greatly impact fuel efficiency. By controlling the amount of fuel being injected into the engine, it allows for more precise and efficient combustion, resulting in better fuel economy.

2. What is the purpose of modulating the output of automotive injectors?

The main purpose of modulating the output of automotive injectors is to regulate the fuel flow into the engine in order to improve performance and fuel efficiency. It also helps to reduce emissions and can prevent engine damage.

3. How is the output of automotive injectors modulated?

The output of automotive injectors can be modulated through various methods such as adjusting the fuel pressure, controlling the injector pulse width, or using electronic fuel injection systems that allow for precise control of fuel delivery.

4. What are the benefits of modulating the output of automotive injectors?

Modulating the output of automotive injectors can have several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, better engine performance, reduced emissions, and increased engine longevity. It also allows for more precise control of fuel delivery, which can be beneficial for different driving conditions.

5. How does the modulating of injector output impact engine power?

The modulating of injector output can impact engine power by controlling the amount of fuel being injected into the engine. This can result in better combustion and more efficient use of fuel, which can lead to increased engine power and performance.