How to Minimize Cost for an Open-Top Box with Given Volume and Width

• Thread starter omg precal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: like, if the base cost is 16 and the sides are 20, and the h is 1, then the box would only cost 16 + 20*1 or $32?yeah, that's what i was thinking too. so it seems like that would be the wrong answer if the h was not 1.thanks for the response though.i'll keep looking.
omg precal

Homework Statement

An open-top box is to be made so that its width is 4 ft and its volume is 40 ft^3. The base of the box costs $4/ft^2 and the sides cost $2/ft^2.

a. Express the cost of the box as a function of its length l and height h.
b. Find a relationship between l and h.
c. Express the cost as a function of h only.
d. Give the domain of the cost function.
e. Use a graphing calculator or computer to approximate the dimensions of the box having least cost.

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I got that. f(l,h) = 8lh + 16l.
b. I got that. lh = 10 or l = 10/h.
c. What the living hell?
d. I have 1000% ABSOLUTELY no idea whatsoever.
e. This bugs me. The lower the length is, the lower the total cost. I answered 0.000...01 (infinite). This way the cost is lowest. But it seems so illogical!

This is my Precalculus summer assignement. I can't get these hard-as-hell problems wrong. I need this urgently and ASAP! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In (a) you seem to be assuming the box has a base and two sides. (Or you assumed the box has two sides and two ends, but the ends cost nothing).

Part (e) will make more sense if you start again and assume the box has a base and four sides.

For (c): the answer to (b) is an equation connecting l and h. You can use that to eliminate l from the answer to (a).

Umm, no I'm not.

l * h gives me a side. each side costs 2 dollars/sq ft. there are 4 sides. 4*2*l*h = 8lh.

l * w gives me the base. w = 4. 4 * l gives me the base. The base costs 4 dollars/sq ft. 4*4*l = 16l

the total cost is 8lh + 16l.

and how can i remove l if it is necessary for figuring out the cost?

e. say that the length is 1, the width is 4, and the height is 10. the volume is 40. the base would be 4 sq ft, costing 16 dollars. each of the sides would be 10 sq ft, costing 20 dollars each. that gives me a total of 96 dollars.

now say that the length is 0.1 ft, the width is 4, and the height is 10. the volume is 40. the base would be 0.4 sq ft, costing 1.6 dollars. each of the sides would again be 10 sq ft, costing 20 dollars each. that gives me a total of $81.60

cant i keep making the length smaller and smaller for the price to keep going down? i do not understand!

Please, someone help me solve c, d, and e! i urgently and really really RRREEEEAAALLLYYY need this now! I am begging please help me!

This Is Urgent!

omg precal said:
Please, someone help me solve c, d, and e! i urgently and really really RRREEEEAAALLLYYY need this now! I am begging please help me!

For part c, substitute l = 10/h into your cost equation in a. For part d, what values can h take for a valid cost? That's your domain.

For part e, graph the equation in part c... find the h where the cost is minimum... then find l. w is already given as 4ft.

learningphysics said:
For part c, substitute l = 10/h into your cost equation in a. For part d, what values can h take for a valid cost? That's your domain.

For part e, graph the equation in part c... find the h where the cost is minimum... then find l. w is already given as 4ft.

OMG you own life! thanks a lot man

Are you sure you have the question written right? Like you said, it seems like the cost keeps dropping for increasing h, so I don't see a minimum cost.

thats exactly what i thought. my parents even thought that, and i came here in hope of a better response =p

this is copied exactly from a precalculus summer assignment. I have put 0.00...0001 as my answer so far, idk what to do.

thx so much again.

omg precal said:
thats exactly what i thought. my parents even thought that, and i came here in hope of a better response =p

this is copied exactly from a precalculus summer assignment. I have put 0.00...0001 as my answer so far, idk what to do.

thx so much again.

Yeah, I think the people that wrote the question made a mistake... hope someone else on the forum here can verify... The function seems to be: cost = 80 + 160/h... which just keeps dropping for increasing h... So a bigger h gives a lower cost.

yeah... i spent a good hour trying to find some kind of non existent hint in the wording or just simply another solution, but i couldnt. i just hope my teacher made a mistake, i don't want to do bad on it.

and wouldn't that also screw up my domain for H? or would it be all real numbers lol

omg precal said:
yeah... i spent a good hour trying to find some kind of non existent hint in the wording or just simply another solution, but i couldnt. i just hope my teacher made a mistake, i don't want to do bad on it.

Actually I think the minimum cost is $80. That is when h = infinity l = 0 and w = 4. Those aren't realistic dimensions, but it's something. :P

omg precal said:
and wouldn't that also screw up my domain for H? or would it be all real numbers lol

All real numbers > 0.

:confused::confused::confused:

wouldnt 0 length mean it is 2-dimensional? infinity height... that would be tall :smile:

I think I'll just leave it blank.

o_O

Whoa! You're making a mistake very early in this problem.

The box has four sides. Two of them have area h * l, and two of them have area 4 * h. The cost of the sides is $2 per square foot, so the cost of the sides is (2*h*l + 2*4*h)*$2 = 16h + 4hl.

The bottom of he box has area 4l, and costs $4 per square foot. The cost of the bottom is thus 4*4*l, or 16l.

The sum of the sides and bottom is 16h + 4hl + 16l. You have the cost function wrong, so everything that follows is wrong, too.

- Warren

chroot said:

The box has four sides. Two of them have area h * l, and two of them have area 4 * h. The cost of the sides is $2 per square foot, so the cost of the sides is (2*h*l + 2*4*h)*$2 = 16h + 4hl.

The bottom of he box has area 4l, and costs $4 per square foot. The cost of the bottom is thus 4*4*l, or 16l.

The sum of the sides and bottom is 16h + 4hl + 16l. You have the cost function wrong, so everything that follows is wrong, too.

- Warren

I was mistakenly thinking of all 4 sides being the same area! Sorry omg_precal!

Last edited:
chroot said:

- Warren

Wow. I was blinded by stupidity. Thank you!

learningphysics said:
I was mistakenly thinking of all 4 sides being the same area! Sorry omg_precal!

No problem at all. Thanks a lot for helping, though.

This is, by far, the hardest summer assignment I've ever had...

But thanks to you guys, I managed. =]

omg precal said:
This is, by far, the hardest summer assignment I've ever had...

But thanks to you guys, I managed. =]

Cool! :smile:

Cost Function = 16l + 16h + 4lh

Cost Function (h) = 160/h + 16h + 40

Height = 10
Length = 1
Width = 4

16(10) + 16(1) + 4(1)(10) = 216 dollars

16(100) + 16(0.1) + 4(0.1)(100) = 1641.60 dollars (smaller you go, much bigger the price gets!)

16(5) + 16(2) + 4(5)(2) = 156 dollars!

Now, let's say that the length and height are both sqrt(10)...

16(sqrt10) + 16(sqrt10) + 4(sqrt10)(sqrt10) = 141.20 dollars, which is the minimum, I believe.

If I'm wrong, correct me, please!

YAY!

omg precal said:
Cost Function = 16l + 16h + 4lh

Cost Function (h) = 160/h + 16h + 40

Height = 10
Length = 1
Width = 4

16(10) + 16(1) + 4(1)(10) = 216 dollars

16(100) + 16(0.1) + 4(0.1)(100) = 1641.60 dollars (smaller you go, much bigger the price gets!)

16(5) + 16(2) + 4(5)(2) = 156 dollars!

Now, let's say that the length and height are both sqrt(10)...

16(sqrt10) + 16(sqrt10) + 4(sqrt10)(sqrt10) = 141.20 dollars, which is the minimum, I believe.

If I'm wrong, correct me, please!

YAY!

You got the right answer. :)

Thanks!

Related to How to Minimize Cost for an Open-Top Box with Given Volume and Width

1. What is "The Damned Open-Top Box"?

"The Damned Open-Top Box" is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935 to illustrate the concept of quantum superposition. It involves a cat placed in a box with a radioactive substance and a device that will release poison if the substance decays. The question is, is the cat alive or dead before the box is opened?

2. Is "The Damned Open-Top Box" a real experiment?

No, "The Damned Open-Top Box" is not a real experiment, it is a theoretical scenario designed to illustrate a concept in quantum mechanics. However, similar experiments have been conducted using particles instead of a cat to demonstrate the principle of superposition.

3. What is quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously until it is observed or measured. This concept challenges our understanding of classical physics, where an object can only exist in one state at a time.

4. Why is "The Damned Open-Top Box" important in quantum mechanics?

"The Damned Open-Top Box" highlights the concept of superposition and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It raises questions about the nature of reality and the relationship between the observer and the observed, which are fundamental to understanding the quantum world.

5. What are the implications of "The Damned Open-Top Box"?

The implications of "The Damned Open-Top Box" are still debated among scientists and philosophers. Some interpretations suggest that the cat is both alive and dead until the box is opened, while others argue that it is in a state of superposition until observed. This thought experiment challenges our understanding of reality and the role of observation in shaping it.