How to merge an attractive force with one that has opposite charges and repulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of kaluza-klein and its use in string theory and other theories to merge attractive and repulsive forces through extra spatial dimensions. The main question being explored is how these theories can explain the repulsion from a purely attractive force using these extra dimensions. The conversation also mentions the search for intuitive explanations, particularly through sources such as YouTube or the internet.
idea2000
Hi,

I saw this article on youtube about Brian Greene describing kaluza-klein and some ideas about tiny curved spatial dimensions:

I was wondering...I'm looking for an intuitive (general idea without too much mathematics for starters) explanation as to how kaluza or string theory (or weyl or any other candidate) tries
to merge a purely attractive force with a force that has opposite charges using these extra spatial dimensions. The main question that I'm trying to answer is: how did they get repulsion out of a purely attractive force by using these extra spatial dimensions?

Are there such intuitive explanations on youtube or somewhere on the web? Or is this subject too difficult to explain intuitively? If anybody could shed some light on the subject, I'd be very grateful. Much thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to merge an attractive force with one that has opposite charges and repulsion

1. How can attractive and repulsive forces be merged?

The most common way to merge attractive and repulsive forces is by finding a balance between them. This can be achieved by adjusting the strength of each force or by modifying the distance between the two objects experiencing the forces.

2. What is the purpose of merging these two forces?

The purpose of merging attractive and repulsive forces is to create a stable equilibrium between two objects. This can be useful in many scientific applications, such as creating new materials or studying the behavior of particles.

3. Are there any real-life examples of merging attractive and repulsive forces?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of merging attractive and repulsive forces. One example is the process of nuclear fusion, where attractive nuclear forces overcome the repulsive electric forces between protons, allowing them to merge and form a new nucleus.

4. What are some challenges in merging these two forces?

One of the main challenges in merging attractive and repulsive forces is finding the right balance between them. If the forces are too strong, the objects may collide and become unstable. If the forces are too weak, the objects may not stay together.

5. How can we apply this concept in everyday life?

The concept of merging attractive and repulsive forces can be applied in everyday life in many ways. For example, magnets use the merging of attractive and repulsive forces to stick to metal surfaces. It is also used in engineering and design to create structures that can withstand both tension and compression forces.