Spin parity and attractive/repulsive forces

In summary, there is a common belief in introductory treatments of quantum field theory that particles with even integral spin are always attractive while particles with odd integral spin can be both attractive and repulsive. This is often cited as evidence that the graviton must have spin 2. However, there is a lack of explanation or proof for this belief. The closest explanation found is on another website, which discusses the role of polarization tensors and the Lorentz invariance of the propagator. However, there is still some ambiguity and hand-waving in this explanation. It is unclear why the spacelike components of the propagator must be positive. While this may be related to Lorentz covariance, there is no clear proof or early reference for
jjustinn
In most introductory QFT treatments, it's stated early on (and without proof) that particles with even integral spin are always attractive, while those with odd integral spin can be repulsive; sometimes this is even cited as evidence that the graviton must be spin 2 (I think Feynman's Gravitation lectures were one such reference).

However, I've not been able to find an explanation (let alone a proof) of this anywhere; the closest I've found is this answer on another site to basically the same question: http://www.quora.com/Quantum-Field-...s-particles-of-even-integer-spin-only-attract

Now, that goes a long way to giving an answer; it also clarifies something I'd always been confused about -- namely, that even spin just means that *like* charges attract; unlike charges would repel (though in e.g. gravity all "charges" are positive).

However, there is still some hand-waving...I can swallow that the factor of i in the spin-zero case is required "for unitarity", but where I get lost is here:

More generally, polarization tensors have nonzero spacelike components because they are transverse to the motion of the force-carrier. When you sum over them, you find that the numerator of the propagator must have positive spacelike components. Since the metric is diag(1,-1,-1,-1), this means that whenever you have an odd number of metrics, you need an extra minus sign to make the spacelike components positive.
An interesting thing happened here: the sign of the propagator was fixed by consistency with propagating external states, which have spacelike polarizations

Now, if you take as given that the spacelike components of the propagator must be positive, that follows...but, why must the spacelike components be positive? I'm guessing it's related to relavistic requirements, but I don't see how it could be Lorentz covariance alone, since the propagator is equally covariant with or without the minus sign.

So, can anyone help clear this up for me? Or, even better -- point me towards an early proof (or even reference) of this in the literature? I don't recall it being in Pauli's Spin/Statistics paper, and it's definitely not in his earlier Particles obeying Bose-Einstein statistics paper (which I just finished translating), and Google isn't being helpful (some terms tried: "even spin" "odd spin" attractive repulsive, "spin parity" attractive repulsive, "spacelike components" propagator)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is a general theorem of QFT but some consequence of Lorentz invariance. For example, phonons can mediate attraction (e.g. in the formation of Cooper pairs in super conductors) but transform vectorially.
Zee's book "Quantum field theory in a nutshell" discusses the relativistic case at some length.

Related to Spin parity and attractive/repulsive forces

1. What is spin parity and how does it affect attractive and repulsive forces?

Spin parity is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of fundamental particles. It can have either a positive or negative value. In terms of attractive and repulsive forces, particles with opposite spin parity tend to attract each other, while particles with the same spin parity tend to repel each other.

2. How do attractive and repulsive forces work?

Attractive forces are caused by the exchange of virtual particles between two particles. These virtual particles carry a force that pulls the particles towards each other. On the other hand, repulsive forces are caused by the exchange of virtual particles that carry a force pushing the particles away from each other.

3. What determines the strength of attractive and repulsive forces?

The strength of attractive and repulsive forces depends on the type of particles involved, their distance from each other, and their charge or mass. The closer the particles are to each other, the stronger the force will be. Additionally, particles with larger charges or masses will experience stronger forces.

4. How do attractive and repulsive forces play a role in chemical bonding?

In chemical bonding, attractive forces are responsible for holding atoms together to form molecules. This includes forces such as ionic, covalent, and metallic bonding. On the other hand, repulsive forces play a role in determining the shape and structure of molecules, as they prevent atoms from getting too close to each other and causing instability.

5. Can attractive and repulsive forces be manipulated?

Yes, attractive and repulsive forces can be manipulated through various methods, such as changing the distance between particles or altering their charges or masses. Scientists can also use external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields, to manipulate the interactions between particles and control the strength and direction of attractive and repulsive forces.