How to make longer file names and paths in Windows 8

In summary, the problem is that Windows Explorer is unable to handle file names that are too long. You can try to shorten the filename, or try a location that has a shorter path. Alternatively, you can try a program called LongPathTool.
mech-eng
Hi. I try to copy long file names and paths from one source to another but there is a problem. Windows cannot do the operation and gives this error. "File name(s) would be too long for the destination folder"
So how can troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can shorten the filename and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

Likes QuantumQuest
Vanadium 50 said:
You can shorten the filename and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

Yes, I could but I would like to change window's configurations so that I could copy them without changing their names. I do not want to change folder's names.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Yes, I could but I would like to change window's configurations so that I could copy them without changing their names. I do not want to change folder's names.

I don't think that is possible in Windows or any other file system that I know of.

I would recommend what Vanadium 50 suggests. Alternatively you would try kb 2919355 from Microsoft, here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355. This is a cumulative update for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2. I haven't used it but it claims that one of the issues it fixes, is the one you describe.

anorlunda said:
I don't think that is possible in Windows or any other file system that I know of.

Absolutely correct and it is an issue of Windows Explorer itself and not of the NTFS file system.

If the target directory is a subdirectory with a long path, you can define a drive letter that points directly to that target. If the source is also Windows, the destination file names will then be short enough to handle anything in the source path names.

Likes jim mcnamara and QuantumQuest
mech-eng said:

The problem with this is that you are exceeding an internal Windows limit. If we somehow manage to bypass this limit to get the file where you want it, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to use it there. (Or, for that matter, to even delete it, so you risk borking your system) Problems may be subtle - for example, it might be possible to force this file to be created, but the name may be too long for the Registry entry of the application that opens it, rendering it useless.

Try to determine if it's just a few files. I'm on Windows 7, and only have one problem file, a secondary installer update for Visual Studio express, 163 characters long, ...kb3110221.exe with a very long prefix apparently used as parameters.

I am Peter Brock

You should try out Long Path Tool program. I had the same problem, but this solved them all!

Likes mech-eng
Peter Brock said:
I am Peter Brock

You should try out Long Path Tool program. I had the same problem, but this solved them all!

Today I tried to make a backup. The windows gave a notification : Too long files names for the source files. It didn't show which files they were so that I could have changed them. Is that program have a special name? How can I get it? Does it determines which paths are too long or it make windows accept long files?

Thank you.

To clarify: the limit in Windows NTFS for the ( name of a file + full device(4):folder name + trailing nul character) = 260. You will also see it referenced as 256 characters with no device name. It is a property of the filesystem. You may also see other numbers which purport to be limits. This is from msdn:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

So. If you cd to a directory with a long filename, then create a file in that directory with a long name, you now can get file too long errors when you reference the file from, for example, the c: directory.

Program to help with the problem: https://longpathtool.com/

Likes berkeman and mech-eng
Do you know free programs of this sort?

Could you use a zipped-up version or CD-image of the files?
Could you use a live linux CD to perform the operation?

robphy said:
Could you use a zipped-up version or CD-image of the files?

Would you please explain what "CD-image of files" here is?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Hi. I try to copy long file names and paths from one source to another but there is a problem. Windows cannot do the operation and gives this error. "File name(s) would be too long for the destination folder"
So how can troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you.
I suggest you use LongPathTool for removing, renaming, coping and deleting files and folders with very Long Paths.

[Mentor Note: See post #12 for the URL for the LongPathTool software]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

Related to How to make longer file names and paths in Windows 8

1. How can I make longer file names in Windows 8?

To make longer file names in Windows 8, you can simply right-click on the file and select "Rename." Then, you can enter a longer name for the file. Windows 8 allows file names up to 255 characters in length.

2. Can I change the maximum length of file names in Windows 8?

No, the maximum length of file names in Windows 8 is set at 255 characters and cannot be changed.

3. How do I make longer paths in Windows 8?

To make longer paths in Windows 8, you can use the "New Folder" option to create subfolders within a folder. This can help to organize your files and make the path longer.

4. Is there a limit to the length of paths in Windows 8?

Yes, there is a limit to the length of paths in Windows 8. The maximum path length is 260 characters, including the file name and extension. This limit is set by the Windows operating system and cannot be changed.

5. How can I check the length of a file name or path in Windows 8?

You can check the length of a file name or path in Windows 8 by right-clicking on the file or folder and selecting "Properties." The path length will be displayed under the "General" tab for files, and under the "Sharing" tab for folders.