How to Make a 3D Origami Paper Snake: Please make your own

• Thread starter The Maker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Paper
In summary, the video is about creating a snake out of paper using the technique of 3D origami. The creator hopes to inspire others to make their own creations and shares that they learned this skill in 6th grade. They also mention that the music in the video is by Brian Eno and suggest crediting him to avoid copyright issues. The conversation also touches on other paper folding designs and resources for creating them, such as a book and a paper plane calendar.
The Maker
This video is about making a snake out of paper. The style of paper folding and structure building shown in this video is called "3D Origami" if you wish to look it up. I hope that this video will inspire you guys to create your own creations and share them with me. I learned this skill in 6th grade, when a teacher showed the class a video of another paper snake.

Here is the video:

Likes kuruman
Physics news on Phys.org
The music is great! Its both epic and foreboding.

Ahh I just realized, its the Dune music by Brian Eno (I think) and so you must be making Sandworms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandworm_(Dune)

You should mention that in your video or its comments to avoid any copyright infringement issues. I've heard some youtubers had to take down popular videos or remove or mute the music in video because they got ordered to by the copyright owner.

That is a good point about the music. His name is Brian Eno. Does this video make you want to build your own?

In a sense, however I liked how you showed the other variations starting with the simple shape. That was really cool.

I've been playing on and off with paper plane designs. I have a book called Fly & Fold Paper Planes that has quite a few unique designs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1741858569/?tag=pfamazon01-20

My favorite design was one my Dad taught me. It uses a locking scheme for the tail piece that is somewhat similar to what you showed for your snake design except there was a couple of additional folds to lock it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a paper plane calendar. You tear one square off every day and the next day gives you the instructions!

Likes jedishrfu

1. How do I begin making a 3D origami paper snake?

To begin making a 3D origami paper snake, you will need several sheets of square paper, a pair of scissors, and glue. Start by folding one sheet of paper into a triangle, then fold the triangle in half to form a smaller triangle. Repeat this process with several more sheets of paper, then connect the triangles together using glue to form the snake's body.

2. What type of paper should I use for a 3D origami paper snake?

The best type of paper to use for a 3D origami paper snake is thin, lightweight paper such as origami paper or printer paper. The paper should be able to hold a crease well and not be too thick, as this will make it difficult to fold and manipulate into the desired shape.

3. How do I create the head and tail of the 3D origami paper snake?

To create the head and tail of the 3D origami paper snake, you will need to make smaller triangles using the same folding method as the body. These triangles should be slightly larger than the ones used for the body. Then, attach them to the front and back of the snake's body using glue to form the head and tail.

4. Can I use colored paper for my 3D origami paper snake?

Yes, you can use colored paper for your 3D origami paper snake. In fact, using different colors for each triangle can create a more unique and interesting snake. Just make sure the paper is still thin and lightweight enough to be easily folded and glued together.

5. How long does it take to make a 3D origami paper snake?

The time it takes to make a 3D origami paper snake will depend on your skill level and the size of the snake you are making. For a beginner, it may take around 30-45 minutes to complete. However, with practice, you may be able to create a snake in less time. It's important to take your time and be patient when making intricate origami designs like a 3D paper snake.