How to lower melting point of solids (TiO2)?

In summary, the speaker is conducting experiments on a 99.9% TiO2 source powder and is looking for ways to lower its melting point without compromising its purity. They only have access to an electrical furnace with a maximum temperature of 1200 degC and have tried lowering the pressure using a quartz tube and vacuum technology, but it may not have a significant effect on the melting point. The melting point is an intrinsic property of a solid and cannot be changed without altering the material itself. Changing the melting point would also change the composition of the material.
paul143
Hi,

I'm currently doing experiments on a 99.9% TiO2 source powder.
I was wondering if there is anyway to lower the melting point of this solid?
If possible, without compromising its purity.

I only have access to an electrical furnace that is capable of reaching a maximum
of 1200 degC only. Seeing that this material has a melting point of around 1800 degC,
I am kinda stuck right now.

By the way, I also have access to a relatively primitive vacuum technology. I tried
to seal my sample in a quartz tube then lowered the pressure inside up to around
10-6 torr. But I am not sure if this really has a significant effect, for I
have learned before that a change in pressure does greatly affect the boiling point
but I am not sure to the extent of its effect on melting point of solids.

Hope for any replies or suggestions.

Thanks very much for any information.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there is much that you can do. Pressure can change the melting point, but the difference between atmospheric pressure and 10^-6 torr is quite negligible for a solid. If you could apply a pressure of 10-20 GPa that would be a different story, but it probably would not change the melting temperature in the direction you want!

The melting point is an intrinsic property of a solid, it can't be change without somehow altering the material itself. Lowering the pressure won't have any practical effect on a solid (nor would increasing it unless we are talking about REALLY high pressures).

i agree.by changing the melting point then the composition as well, will change.

Related to How to lower melting point of solids (TiO2)?

1. How can I lower the melting point of TiO2?

There are a few methods that can be used to lower the melting point of TiO2. One option is to mix it with other materials that have lower melting points, such as calcium oxide or aluminum oxide. Another method is to add impurities to the TiO2, which can disrupt the crystal structure and decrease the melting point. Lastly, decreasing the particle size of the TiO2 can also lower its melting point.

2. Can changing the pressure affect the melting point of TiO2?

Yes, increasing the pressure can lower the melting point of TiO2. This is because higher pressure can compress the crystal lattice of the TiO2, making it easier for the atoms to move and reducing the energy required for melting.

3. Are there any additives that can lower the melting point of TiO2?

Yes, there are certain additives that can lower the melting point of TiO2. Examples include boron oxide, which can disrupt the crystal structure, and sodium fluoride, which can form a eutectic mixture with TiO2 and lower its melting point.

4. What is the eutectic point of TiO2 and how does it affect the melting point?

The eutectic point of TiO2 is the composition at which it forms a eutectic mixture with another material, such as sodium fluoride. This mixture has a lower melting point than pure TiO2, so adding sodium fluoride can effectively lower the overall melting point of TiO2.

5. Can I use a catalyst to lower the melting point of TiO2?

No, a catalyst cannot directly lower the melting point of TiO2. However, it can help promote certain reactions or changes in the TiO2 that may ultimately lead to a lower melting point. For example, a catalyst can help break down the crystal structure of TiO2, making it easier to melt.