How to learn the math needed for more advanced physics course?

In summary, the speaker is a college student from China studying physics and facing difficulties with the math in graduate-level books. They have taken a math-physics course but struggle with equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods. They are seeking advice on how to improve their math skills and whether they should focus on a specific book or take a more advanced math-physics course. They also mention the difficulty of finding experienced help in their college and ask for assistance from anyone who is proficient in math. The respondent suggests getting a PDE book and focusing on solving linear PDEs before attempting to study graduate-level books, and advises against struggling with Jackson's book.
cuixiaohao
Hi,there,
I'm a college student of physics from China, and I've taken most undergrad physics course. when I tried to study some graduate-level books and some journal papers, I got a problem in math .
In graduate level books (say, Jackson's for example), There are pages of math tricks I don't understand. I've taken a math-physics course and get some idea about Partial-diff equations and Bessel functions, etc. But when the equations can't use separate method, I don't know what to do with it. And in graduate level books, there are so many math tricks like magic.
My question is : Where did they get these math techniques? Should I get a more advanced math-physics course? or should I stick on one grad-book like Jackson's, and work more harder on it.
My college is not very good and it's hard to find a experienced person to ask. So I wonder is there anyone here who can do these math in ease will give me some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a PDE book, you did a methods course so you should have enough general knowledge, now you just need to focus on PDE's and solving them. I got the impression from looking at Jackson before that you need to know how to solve linear PDE's before you attack it. I won't recommend a book because I expect foreign books are expensive.

Don't try harder with Jackson, that'll be like hitting your head against a wall harder. Get the PDE knowledge, then try again.

Thank you for your reply, I'll get a good PDE book and learn that first.

Related to How to learn the math needed for more advanced physics course?

1. What math topics should I focus on to prepare for advanced physics courses?

To prepare for advanced physics courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. These topics are used extensively in physics to model and solve problems. In addition, knowledge of vector calculus, differential equations, and complex numbers can also be helpful.

2. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical concepts in physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of mathematical concepts in physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you become more familiar with how to apply mathematical concepts to solve physics problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning math for advanced physics courses?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning math for advanced physics courses. Some popular options include online courses, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning style and cover the specific topics you need to learn.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning math for advanced physics courses?

Staying motivated while learning math for advanced physics courses can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals, breaking up studying into smaller chunks, and finding a study partner or group can all help to keep you motivated and on track.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to succeed in advanced physics courses?

Having a strong math background is important for success in advanced physics courses, but it is not the only factor. Having a strong understanding of fundamental physics concepts and being able to think critically and analytically are also crucial. With dedication and practice, you can build a strong math foundation and succeed in advanced physics courses.