How to know if there's an explicit solution for differential equation

In summary, the given differential equation can be solved by separating the variables and integrating with respect to y. The final solution will be implicitly defined as both x and y cannot be solved in terms of elementary functions due to being inside and outside of logarithmic functions.
find_the_fun
Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables

\(\displaystyle y\ln{x}\frac{dx}{dy}=(\frac{y+1}{x})^2\)

I got it down to

\(\displaystyle \ln{x}x^3-\frac{x^3}{3}=y^3+3y+y^2\)

At this point I had no idea how to solve having y^3 y^2 and y terms so I did what any good student would do and checked the back of the book. The answer given was basically the same as I had got. My question is how do you know when you are done?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different result:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y^2}{2}+2y+\ln|y|=\frac{x^3}{9}\left(3\ln(x)-1 \right)+C\)

I would look at the fact that we can solve for neither variable in terms of elementary functions because both are both inside and outside of log functions. So, I would leave the solution implicitly defined.

find_the_fun said:
Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables

\(\displaystyle y\ln{x}\frac{dx}{dy}=(\frac{y+1}{x})^2\)

I got it down to

\(\displaystyle \ln{x}x^3-\frac{x^3}{3}=y^3+3y+y^2\)

At this point I had no idea how to solve having y^3 y^2 and y terms so I did what any good student would do and checked the back of the book. The answer given was basically the same as I had got. My question is how do you know when you are done?

It's a separable equation...

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} y\ln{(x)}\,\frac{dx}{dy} &= \left( \frac{y + 1}{x} \right) ^2 \\ y\ln{(x)}\,\frac{dx}{dy} &= \frac{y^2 + 2y + 1}{x^2} \\ x^2\ln{(x)}\,\frac{dx}{dy} &= \frac{y^2 + 2y + 1}{y} \\ x^2\ln{(x)}\,\frac{dx}{dy} &= y + 2 + \frac{1}{y} \end{align*}[/tex]

Now you can integrate both sides with respect to y.

Related to How to know if there's an explicit solution for differential equation

1. What is an explicit solution for a differential equation?

An explicit solution for a differential equation is a formula or expression that directly gives the value of the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is also known as a closed-form solution because it does not require any further manipulation or integration.

2. How do you determine if a differential equation has an explicit solution?

To determine if a differential equation has an explicit solution, you can use the method of separation of variables, which involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation and integrating both sides. If the equation can be solved for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable, then it has an explicit solution.

3. Can all differential equations be solved explicitly?

No, not all differential equations have explicit solutions. In fact, most real-world problems involve complex systems that cannot be solved explicitly. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations are used to find approximate solutions.

4. What are the advantages of having an explicit solution for a differential equation?

Having an explicit solution for a differential equation allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system and makes it easier to make predictions and analyze the effects of different parameters. It also provides a more precise and exact solution compared to numerical methods.

5. Are there any techniques for finding explicit solutions for more complex differential equations?

Yes, there are various techniques for finding explicit solutions for more complex differential equations, such as using substitution, integration by parts, or transforming the equation into a simpler form. These methods require a strong understanding of calculus and algebra, and may not always be successful in finding an explicit solution.