How to integrate to get velocity

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of solving a problem involving the equation a = 5 / (3s^(1/3) + s^(5/2)) and whether or not it involves partial fractions. The speakers also discuss the importance of including all necessary information when seeking help with a problem.
Pen1460
Member warned about posting without the template and with no effort shown
a = 5 / (3s^(1/3) + s^(5/2))
I don't know if I can do partial fractions on this one, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pen1460 said:
I don't know if I can do partial fractions on this one, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Gee, we don't know, either.

Always use the HW template when posting in the HW forums. Fill it out completely and be sure to include your work.

Pen1460 said:

What is 's'?

Are you saying that the problem is to integrate [itex]\int\frac{5}{3s^{1/3}+ s^{5/2}}ds[/itex]?

Pen1460 said:
Maybe you are doing it wrong. If you had included the complete problem statement, we might have a better idea about where you might have gone astray.

Hint: vdv = ads

dirk_mec1 said:
Hint: vdv = ads

That depends on what "s" means. I asked the OP about that but have received no reply. Is s = time? Is s = distance? It makes a genuine difference to the solution.

Yes, you're right Ray.

I imagine we have to read the rest of the problem from the stars and tarot cards.

Related to How to integrate to get velocity

1. How do I integrate to get velocity?

Integrating to get velocity involves finding the antiderivative of the acceleration function and evaluating it at the limits of the interval. This will give you the displacement function, which can then be differentiated to get the velocity function.

2. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function, while differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function. In other words, integration deals with finding the original function from its rate of change, while differentiation deals with finding the rate of change from the original function.

3. Can I use integration to find velocity in any situation?

Yes, integration can be used to find velocity in any situation where the acceleration is known. However, the process may vary depending on the complexity of the acceleration function and the limits of the interval.

4. What are the applications of integrating to get velocity?

Integrating to get velocity has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the speed of an object in motion, determining the displacement of an object over time, and analyzing the motion of particles in a system.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for integrating to get velocity?

There are various techniques for integrating to get velocity, such as using integration by parts or substitution. However, there is no shortcut or trick that can be universally applied, and the best approach will depend on the specific function being integrated.