How to Integrate sin(1 + cos^2 x)?

In summary, the conversation was about integrating sin(1+cos^2x) using the methods of substitution and integration by parts. The correct method is to use substitution, setting u = 1 + cos^2x. The conversation also mentioned using the chain rule and inverse trigonometric functions to solve the integral.
avid7
First of all, hi I'm new here my name is crisanna. I stumbled upon this site across the web and realized this 's a great site!

Anyway , here 's my question. Does anyone know how to integrate sin (1 +cos ^2 x) ?

I tried the method integrate by parts but I got stucked. Below is my attempt :
u= 1+ cos^2 x

du/dx = 1/2 x + 1/2 sinxcosx + c ( TBH i don't even know if this part is correct :bugeye: )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
avid7 said:
Does anyone know how to integrate sin (1 +cos ^2) ?

x's are missing.

u= 1+ cos^2 x

du/dx = 1/2 x + 1/2 sinxcosx + c ( TBH i don't even know if this part is correct :bugeye: )

It is not correct. Use the chain rule carefully.

Try a substitution rather than integrating by parts.

Tried again and i got du/dx = -2sinxcosx using the chain rule. Was that correct??

then I was about to use the substitution method..

Hopefully that next substitution was u= cos x. =]

Is it
[tex]\sin \left( 1 + \cos^2 x\right)[/tex]

or
[tex]\sin x \cdot \left(1 + \cos^2 x\right)[/tex]

Quite a difference!

Substitute

[tex] 1 + cos^2x = u [/tex]

Now you will get a denominator of -sin(2x).

But we [tex] 1 + cos^2x = u [/tex] hence find x in terms of arccos something. Using the rules of inverse trigo find 2x in terms of arcsin something.

Now apply parts Twice

Related to How to Integrate sin(1 + cos^2 x)?

What is the integral of sin (1+cos^2x)?

The integral of sin (1+cos^2x) is -cosx + C.

What is the step-by-step process for integrating sin (1+cos^2x)?

The process for integrating sin (1+cos^2x) involves using the trigonometric identity cos^2x = 1/2(1+cos2x) to rewrite the function as sin(1+1/2(1+cos2x)). Then, using the power rule for integration and the trigonometric identity sin2x = 2sinxcosx, the integral can be solved as -cosx + C.

Why is it important to use the trigonometric identity cos^2x = 1/2(1+cos2x) when integrating sin (1+cos^2x)?

Using the trigonometric identity cos^2x = 1/2(1+cos2x) simplifies the integral and allows for easier integration using known rules and identities. It also helps to avoid more complex integration methods.

Can the integral of sin (1+cos^2x) be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integral of sin (1+cos^2x) can be solved using substitution. By letting u = cosx, the integral can be rewritten as -u^2 + C, which can then be easily integrated using the power rule.

What are some real-world applications of integrating sin (1+cos^2x)?

Integrating sin (1+cos^2x) can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to calculate the area under certain curves, determine the displacement of a moving object, and solve differential equations in mechanics and oscillatory motion problems.