How to Integrate Fractions with Substitution?

In summary, integration with fractions is a mathematical process used to find the antiderivative of a given fraction. It is important in various fields and involves using integration rules and techniques. Knowledge of calculus is necessary, and common mistakes to avoid include forgetting the constant of integration and using the wrong rule.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

Integrate: (5x-6)2/x1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substitution, letting u=5x-6 and then plugging that in but realized that I didn't have the proper set up for that. I'm unsure how to go about this; should I factor out the numerator or would that only make things more difficult?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply (5x-6)^2 out and separate the equation into three terms.

Expand the numerator and then it should be easy.

It was very easy indeed. thanks.

Related to How to Integrate Fractions with Substitution?

What is integration with fractions?

Integration with fractions is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative, or the original function, of a given fraction. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, area under a curve, and many other real-world applications.

Why is integration with fractions important?

Integration with fractions is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It also helps us to understand the relationship between a function and its derivative, and it is a fundamental concept in calculus.

How do you integrate a fraction?

The process of integrating a fraction involves using integration rules and techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to find the antiderivative of the given fraction. It is important to follow the correct steps and apply the appropriate rules to get the correct solution.

Can fractions be integrated using only basic algebra?

No, integration with fractions requires knowledge and understanding of calculus concepts and techniques. Basic algebra alone is not sufficient to integrate fractions.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating fractions?

Yes, some common mistakes when integrating fractions include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong integration rule, and not simplifying the resulting expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these errors.