How to Insert Capital Roman Numerals in Word 2013?

• Thread starter Davephaelon
  • Start date
In summary: I had a look at the "Times New Roman" font and it doesn't look too good. I'll try the Unicode code points and see if that works. In the meantime, I'll use a different font.In summary, you can use certain Unicode code points to place a capital Roman numeral in text in Word 2013.
Davephaelon
Does anyone know how to place a capital Roman numeral in text using Word 2013. For example lead is a type-1 superconductor, but I wanted to use the capital Roman numeral one instead of the Arabic numeral. Perhaps it can be done from the keyboard, like certain Ascii characters?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Davephaelon said:
Does anyone know how to place a capital Roman numeral in text using Word 2013. For example lead is a type-1 superconductor, but I wanted to use the capital Roman numeral one instead of the Arabic numeral. Perhaps it can be done from the keyboard, like certain Ascii characters?
What's wrong with a capital "I", "V", and "X" ?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check out the free fonts link.

Not to sound too ignorant, but how do you implement LaTeX? Do you need special software on your computer? Does it come with Word 2013?

Actually, following phinds suggestion I tried the "Times New Roman" text in the insert menu, and used the capital "i". In that font there is a bar on top and bottom, and it looks pretty good, even if it's not the Roman numeral one.

rbelli, Thanks for the reference. I'm away on vacation till next week, so won't be able to try it till I return home. I might have some word processor on my notebook here, will have to check.

A little off topic for this thread, but is it possible for a thumb drive to become infected with a virus, when your computer gets hit with malware? My 12 year old XP Operating System computer had a ransomware attack several weeks ago, and I had one thumb drive connected. I took the computer off the web, and it seems to work fine for word processing, games, etc. I set the thumb drive aside, but have lots of pictures on it, that may not be available elsewhere.

Davephaelon said:
A little off topic for this thread, but is it possible for a thumb drive to become infected with a virus ...
Absolutely it is. Doesn't mean it WILL, if the computer gets infected but depending on the virus it might. Some of them specifically attack external storage drives (non-C drives) to help propagate themselves.

If you want to try to recover anything from this thumb drive you will definitely want to make sure autoplay is off. The best idea is to use some non Windows OS to look at it. Bootable Linux images are easy to find.

BoB

Related to How to Insert Capital Roman Numerals in Word 2013?

1. What are Roman numerals and how are they used in Word 2013?

Roman numerals are a system of numerical notation that originated in ancient Rome. They are commonly used in Word 2013 for numbering lists, chapters, and pages, as well as for indicating dates and time periods.

2. How do I insert Roman numerals in a Word document?

To insert Roman numerals in Word 2013, go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" in the "Header & Footer" section. Then, select "Format Page Numbers" and choose "Roman Numerals" from the drop-down menu.

3. Can I use Roman numerals in equations and formulas in Word 2013?

No, Roman numerals cannot be used in equations or formulas in Word 2013. They are only used for numbering and indicating time periods.

4. How do I change the numbering style from Roman numerals to regular numbers in Word 2013?

To change the numbering style from Roman numerals to regular numbers, select the numbered list or page number in your document. Then, go to the "Home" tab and click on the arrow next to the "Numbering" button. From the drop-down menu, select "Change List Level" and choose the desired numbering style.

5. Can I customize the appearance of Roman numerals in Word 2013?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of Roman numerals in Word 2013 by selecting the numbered list or page number and then going to the "Home" tab. From there, you can change the font, size, and other formatting options for the Roman numerals.