How to hold a relay for 5 seconds

In summary, the person is trying to connect a relay to a power line that provides On and Off signals, but the relay must not turn off and on with the signal light. The relay is not able to supply power if power is cut during the light's off stage. A capacitor may be able to provide constant power to a 555 timer.
chirantha7777
Hey everyone

I got a problem. There is a line that provides 12VDC power in 1 second intervals (On and then Off, yes a signal light). The thing is I want to connect a relay to it but the relay must not turn off and on with the signal light.

I was thinking of using a capacitor but I don't know the value to buy.

And I need the simplest way possible.

Signal On -> Relay On
Signal Off -> Relay On
Signal On -> Relay On
--Switches off Signal light 5 seconds later---
Signal Off -> Relay Off

I hope you'll understand what I'm saying

Engineering news on Phys.org
5 seconds is a bit long for an RC circuit, you would have to make sure the leakage is very low.
Take a look at 555 timer circuits unless you really need a solution that costs a cent.

chirantha7777 said:
Hey everyone

I got a problem. There is a line that provides 12VDC power in 1 second intervals (On and then Off, yes a signal light). The thing is I want to connect a relay to it but the relay must not turn off and on with the signal light.

I was thinking of using a capacitor but I don't know the value to buy.

And I need the simplest way possible.

Signal On -> Relay On
Signal Off -> Relay On
Signal On -> Relay On
--Switches off Signal light 5 seconds later---
Signal Off -> Relay Off

I hope you'll understand what I'm saying

Can you use a latching relay?

I've used the CMOS 555 timers to go out about 10 minutes using tantalum capacitors. The application wasn't that important to require accuracy any better than about +/- 30 seconds. As far as I know, the thing has been running 24-7 since 1995.

Wait, we may be a little presumptuous here... Do you have another source of 12V available? If you don't, the relay won't beable to supply power!

I would highly recommend NOT using a latching relay. I recently tried using them for one of my projects and the technical problem of reversing the voltage in the coils to switch/unswitch is definitely not worth it.

Is power only available when the signal light is on, or does it just flash on it's own? If power is being cut during the light's off stage than the 555 timer would constantly be turned off. Maybe you could use a capacitor to provide constant power to a 555 at .2 Hz?

Related to How to hold a relay for 5 seconds

What is a relay?

A relay is an electrical switch that is controlled by an electromagnet. It is used to turn a circuit on or off by energizing or de-energizing the electromagnet.

How do you hold a relay for 5 seconds?

To hold a relay for 5 seconds, you will need to use a timer circuit or a microcontroller. The timer circuit or microcontroller can be programmed to keep the relay energized for 5 seconds before turning it off.

What are the components needed to hold a relay for 5 seconds?

The components needed to hold a relay for 5 seconds include a relay, a timer circuit or microcontroller, a power supply, and appropriate wiring and connections. You may also need resistors, capacitors, and other electronic components depending on the specific circuit design.

Can a relay be held for longer than 5 seconds?

Yes, a relay can be held for longer than 5 seconds by adjusting the timer circuit or microcontroller to a longer time interval. However, it is important to make sure that the relay and other components can handle the longer duration without overheating or damaging the circuit.

What are some practical applications of holding a relay for 5 seconds?

Holding a relay for 5 seconds can be useful in various electronic systems and devices. For example, it can be used in industrial machinery to control the timing of different operations, in home automation systems to control lights or appliances, and in automotive applications to control engine functions.