How to check the condition of coil in the relay?

In summary, the speaker is using a 12V DC relay to produce bursts by continuously switching it on and off. Initially, they were getting a voltage of up to ~120V while switching very fast, but now they are only getting ~10V. They are measuring the voltage between the point of the coil where the positive terminal of the battery is connected and the NO terminal, which is not a closed circuit and does not make sense. This can cause a high voltage at the switch common and sparking between the circuit and the NC terminal. Additionally, the speaker is not measuring the switching frequency and their equipment may not be suitable for this task. It is possible that the relay contacts have worn out, causing a slower opening and reducing the high
Nikhil N
I am using the relay as chatter. That is I am continuously on-off the relay to produce bursts. I am using 12V DC relay. I got voltage upto ~120V while it is switching very fast initially. Now I am not getting high voltage while switching. I am getting only ~10V. What may be the reason? Is it problem of coil inside the relay?
relay.png

I am measuring the voltage between the point of coil where +ve of battery is connected and the NO terminal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nikhil N said:
I am measuring the voltage between the point of coil where +ve of battery is connected and the NO terminal.

As you have drawn it, the NO terminal is not part of a closed circuit. It makes no sense to measure there. That forces the circuit to be completed through the voltmeter. That's not how voltmeters are supposed to work.When switching from NC to NO, current is being forced to zero. That can cause a high voltage at the switch common and, sparking between the circuit and NC terminal.

You also don't measure the switching frequency. How many times per second is it switching?

Frankly, given all that, I don't know what the heck you are measuring.

Likes davenn
Nikhil N said:
I got voltage upto ~120V while it is switching very fast initially.
Your equipment is not up to the task. The peak of that voltage is most likely far higher.

anorlunda said:
Frankly, given all that, I don't know what the heck you are measuring.
I think the switch is landing on the 'no' terminal before the arc extinguished, so ~ the voltage peak might be measurable there (but not with a common multimeter I think)

At that point the 12V coil has quite a voltage overload. I think some turn failures are likely to happen.

Any method to check a transformer for turn failures would be more or less OK if the switch of the relay is temporarily fixed.

Likes anorlunda
Outside of the issues pointed out above... for a basic, unsealed relay in particular, this type of activity is very hard on the relay contacts. When they were new the contacts may have been making a very "clean" break when opening, as they have worn out, the opening of the contacts is a little slower, lowering the di/dt that creates the high voltage. - just a theory, would need to look at this on a scope and compare to a new relay.

Nikhil N said:
Now I am not getting high voltage while switching.
When the contact was opened, the high voltage spike produced by the inductor damaged the coil insulation. There are now a number of short circuited turns in the coil. It no longer has much inductance because it has shorted turns.

If you want to protect a coil you can use a flyback diode.
You can limit the high voltage to about 100 volts with a gas discharge tube such as a neon lamp.

Likes jim hardy

1. How can I test if a coil in a relay is working?

To test the condition of a coil in a relay, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the ohm setting and touch the positive and negative probes to the two terminals on the coil. If the reading is within the specified range, the coil is functioning properly.

2. What is a typical resistance reading for a working coil in a relay?

The resistance reading for a functioning coil in a relay can vary, but it is typically between 50-100 ohms. Refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific relay you are testing.

3. Can a damaged coil in a relay be repaired?

In most cases, a damaged coil in a relay cannot be repaired. It is best to replace the entire relay to ensure proper functioning. Attempting to repair a damaged coil can also be dangerous, as it may cause further damage to the relay or result in electrical hazards.

4. How do I know if a relay coil is damaged?

If the relay is not functioning properly or if the resistance reading on the coil is outside of the specified range, it is likely that the coil is damaged. You may also visually inspect the coil for any signs of physical damage, such as cracks or burns.

5. Can a faulty coil cause other issues in a relay?

Yes, a faulty coil can cause other issues in a relay. If the coil is not functioning properly, it may prevent the relay from switching on or off, which can affect the overall performance of the system the relay is a part of. It is important to regularly check and maintain the condition of relay coils to avoid any potential issues.