How to Graph the Intersection of Two Planes in 3D Coordinates using Mathematica?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about graphing in 3D coordinates using Mathematica. The individual is asking about graphing the intersection of two planes and how to graph a specific equation. The response suggests using the ParametricPlot3D function and provides instructions for adjusting the range. The individual also asks about graphing a specific equation, to which the response clarifies that it is a cylinder, not a curve.
Mr Davis 97
I have a simple Mathematica question, and I am not sure where to post it, so I'll just try to post it here. I am trying to graph the intersection of the planes y=3 and z=5 in 3D coordinates, but am not sure how.

Technology news on Phys.org
ParametricPlot3D[{x,3,5},{x,-10,10}]

Exchange the 10s for whatever suits your plotting range.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Orodruin said:
ParametricPlot3D[{x,3,5},{x,-10,10}]

Exchange the 10s for whatever suits your plotting range.
That works. As one additional question, how would I graph the curve ##x^2 + z^2 = 9## in three dimensions? Do I have to parametrize it, or can I use that equation directly?

That is a cylinder, not a curve. What is it you want to plot?

Related to How to Graph the Intersection of Two Planes in 3D Coordinates using Mathematica?

What is Mathematica and what is it used for?

Mathematica is a software program that allows for mathematical and scientific calculations, data visualization, and programming. It can be used for a variety of tasks such as solving equations, creating graphs, and analyzing data.

How do I perform basic calculations in Mathematica?

To perform basic calculations in Mathematica, you can use the built-in symbols for arithmetic operations such as +, -, *, and /. You can also use functions such as Sin, Cos, and Exp for trigonometric and exponential calculations. Simply enter the expression in the input bar and press Shift+Enter to evaluate it.

Can I plot graphs and visualizations in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful built-in functions for creating various types of graphs and visualizations. You can use the Plot function to create 2D graphs, the Plot3D function for 3D graphs, and the ListPlot function for plotting data points. You can also customize the appearance of your graphs using various options.

How can I save my work in Mathematica?

You can save your work in Mathematica by using the File menu and selecting Save or Save As. This will save your notebook as a .nb file, which you can open and continue working on later. You can also export your work as different file types, such as PDF or HTML, by using the Export function.

Is there a way to learn more about Mathematica and its capabilities?

Yes, there are many resources available to learn more about Mathematica. You can access the built-in documentation by pressing F1 or using the Help menu. There are also online tutorials, forums, and user communities that can provide support and guidance for using Mathematica.