How to get the desired upper bound

In summary: This shows that the Backward Euler method is stable, as the error term $|T_i^{n+1}|$ is bounded by a combination of the time and space step sizes and the maximum values of the second and fourth derivatives of $u$. In summary, we have shown that the error of the Backward Euler method is bounded by a combination of the time and space step sizes and the maximum values of the second and fourth derivatives of $u$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The backward Euler method

We consider a uniform partition such that $[0,T_f]$ and $[a,b]$

$h=\frac{b-a}{N_x+1}, \tau=\frac{T_f}{N_t}$

$x_i=a+ih, i=0,1, \dots, N_x+1$

$t_n=n \tau, n=0,1, \dots, N_t$

$u_t-u_{xx}=0 \\ u(t=0,x)=u_0(x) \\ u(t,a)=0 \forall t \\ u(t,b)=0 \forall t$

$u_t(t,x) \approx \frac{u(t,x)-u(t-\tau,x)}{\tau} \\ u_{xx}(t,x) \approx \frac{u(t,x-h)-2u(t,x)+u(t,x+h)}{h^2}$

$U_i^n \approx u(t^n, x_i)$

$U_i^{n+1}-U_i^n= \mu (U_i^{n+1}- 2 U_i^{n+1}+U_{i-1}^{n+1})$ where $\mu=\frac{\tau}{h^2}$

$T_i^{n+1}=\frac{u(t_{n+1}, x_i)-u(t_n, x_i)}{\tau}-\frac{u(t_{n+1},x_{i-1})-2u(t_{n+1},x_i)+u(t_{n+1},x_{i+1})}{h^2}$

For the Backward Euler method we have:

$|T_i^{n+1}| \leq \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt}+\frac{h^2}{12}M_{xxxx} \\ M_{tt}=||u_{tt}(t,x)||_{\infty ([a,b] \times [0,T_f])} \\ M_{xxxx}=||u_{xxxx}(t,x)||_{\infty ([a,b] \times [0,T_f])}$I have tried to show the inequality but I don't know how to continue.That's what I have tried:

We have that: $\frac{u(t_{n+1},x_i)-u(t_n,x_i)}{\tau}=\frac{u(t_{n+1},x_{i+1})-2u(t_{n+1},x_n)+u(t_{n+1},x_{i-1})}{h^2}$

$$\frac{u(t_{n+1},x_i)-u(t_n,x_i)}{\tau}=\frac{u(t_n+\tau, x_i)-u(t_n,x_i)}{\tau}=\frac{u(t_n,x_i)+ \tau u_t(t_n, x_i)+\frac{\tau^2}{2} u_{tt}(\rho_n, x_i)-u(t_n, x_i)}{\tau}=u_t(t_n, x_i)+\frac{\tau}{2} u_{tt}(\rho_n, x_i)$$Also,

$$\frac{u(t_{n+1},x_{i+1})-2u(t_{n+1},x_n)+u(t_{n+1},x_{i-1})}{h^2}=\frac{u(t_n+\tau, x_i+h)-2u(t_n+\tau,x_i)+u(t_n+\tau,x_i-h)}{h^2}=u_{xx}(t_n+\tau,x_i)+\frac{h^2}{24} (u_{xxxx}(t_n+\tau, \xi_i)+u_{xxxx}(t_n+\tau, \zeta_i)) , \xi_i \in (x_i, x_i+h), \zeta_i \in (x_i-h,x_i)$$

$T_i^{n+1}=u_t(t_n, x_i)+\frac{\tau}{2} u_{tt}(\rho_n, x_i)-u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i)-\frac{h^2}{24}(u_{xxxx}(t_n+\tau, \xi_i)+u_{xxxx}(t_n+\tau, \zeta_i))$If so, then how could we continue in order to get the desired upper bound? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

To continue, we can use the fact that $u_{tt}(t,x)$ and $u_{xxxx}(t,x)$ are both bounded on the interval $[a,b] \times [0,T_f]$. This means that we can find some constants $M_{tt}$ and $M_{xxxx}$ such that $|u_{tt}(t,x)| \leq M_{tt}$ and $|u_{xxxx}(t,x)| \leq M_{xxxx}$ for all $t \in [0,T_f]$ and $x \in [a,b]$.

Using these bounds, we can rewrite our expression for $T_i^{n+1}$ as:

$T_i^{n+1} = u_t(t_n, x_i) + \frac{\tau}{2} u_{tt}(\rho_n, x_i) - u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i) - \frac{h^2}{24} (M_{xxxx}+M_{xxxx})$

From here, we can use the triangle inequality to separate out the terms involving $u_t(t_n, x_i)$ and $u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i)$:

$T_i^{n+1} \leq u_t(t_n, x_i) - u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i) + \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt} - \frac{h^2}{12} (M_{xxxx}+M_{xxxx})$

Now, we can use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to bound the first two terms:

$T_i^{n+1} \leq \sqrt{(u_t(t_n, x_i))^2 + (u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i))^2} + \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt} - \frac{h^2}{12} (M_{xxxx}+M_{xxxx})$

Finally, we can use the fact that $u_t(t_n, x_i)$ and $u_{xx}(t_n+\tau, x_i)$ are both bounded on the interval $[a,b] \times [0,T_f]$ to get our desired upper bound:

$|T_i^{n+1}| \leq \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt} + \frac{h^2}{12} M_{xxxx}$

Related to How to get the desired upper bound

1. How do I determine the upper bound for my experiment?

To determine the upper bound for your experiment, you need to first define what you consider to be the desired outcome. This could be a specific value, a range of values, or a certain level of accuracy. Then, you can use statistical methods such as confidence intervals or hypothesis testing to calculate the upper bound.

2. Can I change the desired upper bound after conducting the experiment?

It is not recommended to change the desired upper bound after conducting the experiment, as this can lead to biased results. The upper bound should be determined and defined before starting the experiment to ensure accurate and unbiased data analysis.

3. How do I interpret the upper bound in my results?

The upper bound represents the maximum value that your data can reach. It can provide insight into the potential range of outcomes for your experiment. If your results fall within the upper bound, it means that your experiment was successful in achieving the desired outcome.

4. What factors affect the upper bound of an experiment?

The upper bound of an experiment can be influenced by various factors, such as sample size, experimental design, and the variability of the data. Increasing the sample size or improving the experimental design can potentially decrease the upper bound, while high variability in the data can increase it.

5. How can I ensure that my desired upper bound is achievable?

The achievability of the desired upper bound depends on the nature of the experiment and the resources available. It is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, consider potential limitations, and use appropriate statistical methods to determine the achievable upper bound. Consulting with other experts in the field can also provide valuable insights and help ensure the achievability of the desired upper bound.