How do we choose the number of subintervals?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the author has written a code to approximate the solution of the heat equation. He wants to consider uniform partitions in order to approximate the solution of the given boundary / initial value problem. He does not mention how to choose the parameters $N_x$ and $N_t$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I have written a code to approximate the solution of the heat equation. I want to consider uniform partitions in order to approximate the solution of the given boundary / initial value problem.

So we partition $[a,b]$ in $N_x$ subintervals with length $h=\frac{b-a}{N_x}$, where the points $x_i, i=1, \dots ,N_x+1$, are given by the formula $x_i=a+(i-1)h$, and so we have $a=x_1<x_2< \dots <x_{N_x}<x_{N_{x+1}}=b$ and respectively we partition $[0,T_f]$ in $N_t$ subintervals of length $\tau=\frac{T_f-t_0}{N_t}$ and the points are $t_n=t_0+(n-1)\tau, n=1, \dots ,N_t+1$, so we have $t_0=t_1<t_2<\dots< t_{N_t}<t_{N_{t+1}}=T_f$.

Is there a criterion to choose $N_x$ and $N_t$ ? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, if you don't have the exact solution available, then one way to show your partition is good enough is to pretend your metric space is complete (Cauchy sequences converge). What I mean by that is you would show that your partition is good enough if, say, you divided each subinterval in half, and your solution did not differ from your previous solution by more than some pre-specified tolerance. The hope is that you're working in a complete space, so that if your solutions differ from each other by a very little bit, they are close to the true solution. Does that make sense?

In our case, the solution is given.

In that case, you would compare your approximation with the exact solution, and see if it's in some tolerance. Now, you have to be careful how you compare. I would probably do something like this: pick a bunch of random points in the $(x,t)$ plane, evaluate your approximation there and the exact solution there, square the difference (or take its magnitude), and add them all up. You might have some predetermined method of comparison, but I would think it would need to be something like this method.

Related to How do we choose the number of subintervals?

1. What is the purpose of dividing a larger interval into smaller subintervals?

The purpose of dividing a larger interval into smaller subintervals is to approximate a function or curve that is continuously changing. By breaking down the interval into smaller pieces, we can get a more accurate representation of the function's behavior within that interval.

2. How do we determine the appropriate number of subintervals to use?

The number of subintervals to use depends on the level of accuracy needed for the specific problem at hand. Generally, the more subintervals we use, the more accurate our approximation will be. However, there is a trade-off between accuracy and computational time, so it is important to strike a balance.

3. Can we use a fixed number of subintervals for all problems?

No, the appropriate number of subintervals can vary depending on the function being approximated and the level of accuracy desired. Some functions may require a higher number of subintervals to get an accurate approximation, while others may not need as many.

4. What happens if we use too few subintervals?

If we use too few subintervals, our approximation will be less accurate and may not capture the behavior of the function well. This can lead to errors in our calculations and results.

5. Is there a mathematical formula for determining the optimal number of subintervals?

There is no specific formula for determining the optimal number of subintervals as it depends on the individual problem and the desired level of accuracy. However, there are some methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, that can help determine an appropriate number of subintervals to use for numerical integration.